Topic: Bans don't affect extern.php

People who are banned can still "read" the forums somewhat by using extern.php, because bans are never checked

Re: Bans don't affect extern.php

If I understood it right the concept behind extern.php is to spread the word outside of your forum, and of course yu cannot check users there.
I think you just shouldn't show things through extern.php that not everybody should see....

The German PunBB Site:
PunBB-forum.de

Well, if you're banned you can't see the forum wink
It's easy enough to add the lines so that banned people can't view it

The problem with that is that if people included extern.php for use on their front page and someone was banned from the forums, it would look a bit funky.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

What if you're trying to ban someone because they do something like check extern.php on every pageview, rather then caching it? wink
The only way in that situation someone would be banned is if they were banned by IP.

And if I understand 1.3's extern.php correctly, you'll be able to view threads through it (correct me if I'm wrong): wouldn't it defeat the point of banning if they can read the forum anyway?

You're right. I'll put it on the list.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Though banning is done mostly because the user writes something nasty on the forums. In some cases taking away writing permissions is sufficient and even desirable. An option perhaps?