Topic: Email Problem

whenever we send a mail through the forum or invitation or anything related to mailing it says that the message is sent but the message is never sent
wat do i do
no emails frm the forum are sent

Re: Email Problem

Are you using a local mail server (e.g. sendmail) or have you entered an external SMTP server in admin/options?

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Using version 1.2.6 on Windows 2003 with MySQL:
I'm having trouble getting the mail function to work as well.  No mail goes through at all. I am using an external mailhost, but I had to put it in manually because the administration page doesn't store the settings.  (Separate problem)

Are there any suggestions or fixes?

I think I fixed it, but I'm not sure how.

mastiland wrote:

whenever we send a mail through the forum or invitation or anything related to mailing it says that the message is sent but the message is never sent
wat do i do
no emails frm the forum are sent

Please, how do you process to install punbb on Windows 2003 ?
Thanks.

You need to install PHP first using the instructions from php.net.  Then you can install MySQL.  Then you download the php source and follow the instructions as best as you can.  If you need more information let me know.

jasonw wrote:

You need to install PHP first using the instructions from php.net.  Then you can install MySQL.  Then you download the php source and follow the instructions as best as you can.  If you need more information let me know.

I use PHP-5.0.4 with MySQL/MySQLi extensions and MySQL Server 4.1.13. Everything is ok, PHP works, MySQL too.

But I can't install punbb-1.2.6 neutral There're some ?> missing (I think) at the end of each PHP page.

Have you edited any page of punbb ?

Thanks.

I edited one page to help with the admin settings regarding the mail server properties because it's broken in this version.  That's all we have done. 

I did have to setup a database in MySQL with a user and then set that user's password with the OLDPASSWORD function because punBb is considered a legacy MySQL client.

jasonw wrote:

I edited one page to help with the admin settings regarding the mail server properties because it's broken in this version.  That's all we have done.

Can you give me this modification please ?

jasonw wrote:

I did have to setup a database in MySQL with a user and then set that user's password with the OLDPASSWORD function because punBb is considered a legacy MySQL client.

I've not this problem. Before the installation, if I access to the index.php, the page source is empty. When I run the installation, it fails but if I modify the PUN_ROOT, it seems to be OK but it fails on the other pages...

punbb has many bugs... it's dommage, it seems to be a good BB.

http://punbb.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=8105

I'm having the same problem as the OP.

I just finished setting up a copy of punbb forums. There's an option to use a local mail program or smtp, and i opted for the former.

As far as I know, my hosts allows php's mail() . However, people who tried to sign up don't receive any emails - preventing them from posting at all.

I hate to create new topics and this one seems to be the most appropriate to post this problem I get. I did search for an answer to this prior to posting it.

I'm in the process of testing my forum..
Whenever I send a form email it says that the message is sent but the message is never sent.
But whenever I register with a new email adress (or request a new password) I DO receive an email from the forum with my generated passwd and login ID.

I only entered the SMTP info in the SMTP server address field.. I didn't edit any truecode related to emails (as long as some mods didn't affect some code that could create this problem.. (PM mod, Mk as read, Custom Pages))
I'm testing the forums locally.

Any ideas?

Form emails fake the sender's email as the From address. Could the issue be that the email providers are detecting that as spam and blocking it? smile

I'd see them in my junkmail inbox, and I dont.. My 4 email providers all received a registration email but none of them are receiving form emails... (??)

Any chance I could get a link to the forum?

Thanks, as I said I worked locally but I just uploaded it on my new domain and spent the last 2 hours on it.

Turns out that once it's online I've got a 550 Relaying denied error when attempting to send form email or receiving registration notification (+ it seems that PHP can't write to cache but that's another thing..). But Im totally new to this.. so chances are I forgot to do/add some very basic stuff to my forum.

Sending the files wouldn't help would it? I could reupload it again but since PHP can't write to cache I can't do any modifications and experiments.

I guess I've got a littlbe bit more reading to do in order for it to be functionnal.

Chmod the cache folder to 777.

For the mail: most SMTP hosts (being your ISP's most likely) disallow connections from outside IP adresses. That's why it worked locally but not on your webhosting.
Find a free SMTP service or webhosting with decent mail() support wink

elbekko wrote:

Chmod the cache folder to 777.

Ok I changed the folder's properties to give Read/Write/Execute permissions to all users in this directory + I had to do the same with all the files' properties in the cache folder. It's fixed. Thanks smile

elbekko wrote:

For the mail: most SMTP hosts (being your ISP's most likely) disallow connections from outside IP adresses. That's why it worked locally but not on your webhosting.
Find a free SMTP service or webhosting with decent mail() support wink

neutral sad

Thanks for the input smile
I've looked around and found a few SMTP service but no one will allow me to send email with my domain address, i.e if I subscribe to bluebottle.com the forum registration email has to be from myname@bluebottle.com... I'm looking for a service ($) that would allow the email to be sent from myname@mynewdomain.com.. and consequently would work for the users who send emails via the forum's email form. Is this possible or do I have to switch my webhosting provider?

Talk to your host, that should be something they provide

Smartys wrote:

Talk to your host, that should be something they provide

You're right.
The guy from my webhosting company just emailed me.. 

Turns out I had the "local mail" feature on my domain all along.. I just had to leave the forum's SMTP server adress field empty..

sry..

smile

In the Terms and Conditions section of the service I falsely assumed that the notice "Clients must use the SMTP server provided by their ISP for email configuration." was referring that this lack of feature and was responsible for the auto-email malfunction.

Anyway.. s'all good now

Thanks!