1 (edited by simkin67 2005-08-03 02:44)

Topic: PunBB vs PHP-Fusion's default forum

**Note: edited subject line to reflect content more accurately**

OK, over the last several months, I've played around with two different CMS packages: Xoops and PHP-Fusion.  Both are great but Xoops tends to be a little slower and more resource hungry.  Plus, PHP-Fusion has a simplicity that is much akin to PunBB.  In addition, like PunBB, it seems to be very fast.

However, I'm not too keen on the default forum for PHP-Fusion.  I actually liked the one that integrates with Xoops, but I've decided to go with PHP-Fusion because writing custom mods is much simpler in Fusion than Xoops.  Heck, writing themes is too!

As much as I don't care for the forum that comes with Fusion, I'm wondering what advantage PunBB has over it.  Not to mention that integrating the to would be more work.  I also like SMF, but I believe that integration would be even trickier for it than PunBB.  So, what would I gain by successfully integrating PunBB with Fusion; that is, what advantages does PunBB have over the default forum for Fusion?

This is not a challenge to convince but rather a chance to help me understand some of the features of PunBB and why it would make a fast, clean forum for my future community site.

Thanks!

Re: PunBB vs PHP-Fusion's default forum

Hmmm...either (a) nobody is familiar with the default forum of PHP-Fusion, (b) ppl here find this post offensive and don't deem it worth responding to, or (c) there really are few if any advantages of trying to integrate PunBB into this CMS.  I'm leaning towards (a)...

Is there a Website out there that anyone knows of which compares features of some of the existing forum scripts out there?  I know PF's will not be on it if so but I can at least get a good idea of what is offered by each.  All I know is PunBB is supposed to offer speed and simplicity...

Thx!

You should really give Textpattern a try. It's the best CMS out there if you ask me. Plus it's from the hosting company that support PunBB.

I think you can be 99% sure its (a). Why don't you try listing the things you don't like about the PHP-Fusion forum and we can tell you if PunBB does it different/better/worse.

Well, there ARE a few things I dislike but after playing around with PunBB, I don't see enough of an improvement to warrant attempts to integrate for the sake of having a better forum software.  Both are very basic but I will admit that I like the overall look of PunBB over the PF forum.  I do NOT like the "search" results layout for the PF forum, but I'm going to look at the way it is coded to see what I can do to alter that. 

I suppose that when it comes down to it, having a forum (albeit very basic but nowhere near the ugliness of SimpleBoard..blech) already integrated with the CMS is a BIG advantage, perhaps enough to outweigh a few features.

As far as integration is concerned (I need to stop before this thread gets tossed over into the Integration forum), I think PunBB's strength will lie in CMS/Blog packages that either do not have a forum or have very crappy ones.  However, I think I might just play around with integration anyway because I like challenges smile.  And when I say integration, I don't mean just joining user reg, etc. but such that it looks like it belongs with the rest of the package.  Otherwise it IS just a bridge...

Thanks!