Topic: Could you recommend a very light cms that integrates well with punbb?

Essentially all I want the cms to do is allow a writer to create an article to be checked and published later by an editor.

The actual articles needs to be in this format.

<title>
<Category>
<date>
<description/summery>
<article text>

Whilst having the newest published article tagged as <latest>.
And have it's comments (registered users only) to be handled by punbb (so I can use the same user db for punbb too).

I really want to seperate content from display so I don't want to have to 'skin' the cms output but rather be able to put the output anywhere I want via includes (hence the formatting).

This way I can have the latest published article titled and summerised on the main page (so you click on the title to be taken to the main article on another page with comments) and have the older articles elsewere on the page and then later archived by category.

All I can find are either giant bloat portals or blog software.

Please help me.

2 (edited by Dr.Jeckyl 2005-09-10 06:02)

Re: Could you recommend a very light cms that integrates well with punbb?

Give Frontpage PunBB a look.
http://punres.org/desc.php?pid=78
or
Connorhd's mini portal.
http://punres.org/doku.php?id=tutorials:miniportal

~James
FluxBB - Less is more

You could make a forum called drafts, a forum called blog, make the forum called blog be published to the homepage (using my miniportal) then people can post in drafts and to publish it you just have to move the topics to blog, and the topic can be where comments are made...

Textpattern

from the textpattern faq wrote:

Textpattern is designed as a stand-alone application. Trying to embed it in another page or script doesn?t work well, for various reasons.

Usually that turns out not to be nessary though. Try doing things the other way around: embed your content in Textpattern, using page templates, forms and < txp:php> tags. That way you?ll have a consistent interface for editing all of your pages.

Posted Sep 9, 01:21 am by Alex Shiels

This is my main complaint with nearly all the opensource CMSs I have looked at.
I mean we bust our nut trying to seperate style and content, developing css and best practices, only to be backdoored by CMS devs who proudly put "xhtml compliant!" as there main feature yet fail to grasp other basic web concepts.

I think I'm against using Punbb as a CMS (using posts as articles) as with the host and set up I have physical space isn't an issue but cpu load and db space is.
So what I have decided to try and do is use flat pages to store the articles and just index them with the db.
So I'll have a load of pages called <title>.html indexed by <title> into various <catergories> and tagged with <keywords> (for searchablility) in the db.

(If I use the db to contain the articles, do the indexing and maintain punbb it will fall over in no time at all (and it's cheaper to just buy a new hardrive rather then upgrade the server)).

What I'm hoping to do is have 4 templates (representing the four different types of articles) and just structure the information so that you just fill in the forms (<title> <catergory> <summery> <article> <keywords>) and the php will fill in the information according to the template and then write a file called <title>.html.

That way I can run the db index when the editor publishes the article on the frontpage.

I do want to use punbb to handle the commentating though so when the first person writes a comment it creates a forum post in the relevent forum.

I'll give frontpage and miniportal a go though thanks for that guys.

6 (edited by Fire Fusion 2005-09-10 15:43)

I don't know if this plugin for Textpattern helps you, I didn't read anything but your title tongue

7 (edited by hcgtv 2005-09-10 19:55)

With the help of Rickard, we've created a plugin for Nucleus CMS to interface with PunBB.

Check out http://hcgtv.com, click a comment link and it will take you to the forum.

Nucleus is a very lean CMS, you can do just about anything with it.

nucleus !!!

I checked nucleus out earlier.
Essentially you still have to create templates for the CMS.
I'd have to have something that reads the xml output and displays it on a seperate page.
Even then it uses the db to store the articles.
It's decent enough for like a blog but not as an online publishing tool I'm afraid.

Radiant wrote:

It's decent enough for like a blog but not as an online publishing tool I'm afraid.

Please let Eric know: http://www.printculture.com/ wink

A very good cms which you might want to consider is mambo.

I understand you want articles and allow simple articles. I think his might be better because you can have a simple site with mambo while at the same time later develop it for something more advance if you site becomes successful.

Also the great thing about it is that it has a wysiwyg editor and it has clean urls for search engines to find and register your articles. hope this helps.