26

Re: PunBB 1.2.8

Don't worry, my ISP is dropping mail coming from "<noreply@nodomain.com>" or other invalid address ... I'll register with another address I guess.

Thanks !

Re: PunBB 1.2.8

Aha, that explains it.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Re: PunBB 1.2.8

Done reinstalling, this is getting out of hand; all this new version is getting out of hand
STOP SEARCHING FOR BUGS!

Just joking, but really, when are we going to have a fairly stable version?
[fairly stable means: last about 10months-2years]

Go Canada! - No matter what, except when Stephen Harper is Prime Minster!
NHL is back, GO TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS! even if they lose...
[Firefox Rules!] - [Amazing Race] - [My Site!]

29

Re: PunBB 1.2.8

Speechless wrote:

....when are we going to have a fairly stable version?
[fairly stable means: last about 10months-2years]

If a web app goes that long between fixes it doesn't mean its stable, it is more likely to mean that the developers are not owning up to and fixing security issues.

Re: PunBB 1.2.8

It's difficult to ignore e-mails from e.g. Stefan Esser:

Stefan Esser is an independent Security Consultant, that is well known in the security community for his advisories about popular Open Source Software packages like Linux, NetBSD, Samba, Cyrus IMAPD, Gaim, Ethereal, CVS, Subversion, MySQL and PHP.
He is also known as the first who completely broke the DRM of the Microsoft XBOX with software only exploits.

Stefan contributes to the source code of PHP for 5 years and is a founding member of php.net's Security Response Team. Because of his indepth knowledge of the PHP source code, he is an excellent auditor for PHP web applications, with a background knowledge that is unique in the PHP community.

He knows what he's doing.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

31 (edited by Limber 2005-09-23 08:23)

Re: PunBB 1.2.8

Speechless wrote:

Just joking, but really, when are we going to have a fairly stable version?
[fairly stable means: last about 10months-2years]

I don't think there is such a thing as a version that is stable for 2 years. New exploits in areas which were looked upon as safe will always surface. I think it's excellent that Rickard is keeping a continuous line of updates. Besides, that way we have proof that he is working on improving punBB and that he is not one of those "yeah, yeah... when it's ready"-people. wink

Edit: Patched to 1.2.8, everything ok, got the email.

Aftonbörsens skapare. Var med och starta något roligt och stort du med!

32

Re: PunBB 1.2.8

Paul wrote:
Speechless wrote:

....when are we going to have a fairly stable version?
[fairly stable means: last about 10months-2years]

If a web app goes that long between fixes it doesn't mean its stable, it is more likely to mean that the developers are not owning up to and fixing security issues.

I agree. This constant attention is definitely a good thing, even though it shows how lazy I am. My Punbb is a franken 1.5 beast with various security patches applied by hand. I am still procrastinating a proper update until 1.3, as I know I'll have to rewrite a bunch of my forum anyway.

Lazyness! Glad Rickard doesn't suffer as badly as I do!

33 (edited by analogue 2005-09-23 13:34)

Re: PunBB 1.2.8

Thanks for all the versions ! Keep updating it and don't listen to the lazies wink

Re: PunBB 1.2.8

Updated ...

No problem ...

Thank's cool

35

Re: PunBB 1.2.8

Just updated successfully smile
Thanks for your efforts.

Re: PunBB 1.2.8

I'm currently still running 1.25. How would I go about updating to 1.2.8?

I installed a lot of mods to my 1.2.5 installation, so just reintsalling a fresh copy and pointing it to the database is not an option.

thanks,

-Tim

37

Re: PunBB 1.2.8

yelowpunk wrote:

I'm currently still running 1.25. How would I go about updating to 1.2.8?

I installed a lot of mods to my 1.2.5 installation, so just reintsalling a fresh copy and pointing it to the database is not an option.

thanks,

-Tim

I would suggest you to use the .patch (available on the downloads page), or alternatively, the hdiff. If you're on Windows, and don't have access to a *nix machine, just grab a copy of Cygwin.

38

Re: PunBB 1.2.8

badrad wrote:

This constant attention is definitely a good thing, even though it shows how lazy I am. My Punbb is a franken 1.5 beast. I am still procrastinating a proper update as I know I'll have to rewrite a bunch of my forum anyway.

Lazyness!

You and me both!  I'm still on 1.5.1 -- it's so old that the process of updating it involves several extra steps that sound intimidating (plus maybe I'm a little bit lazy wink).

39

Re: PunBB 1.2.8

But now with the pressure to be cool, that may all change:

I hope you're running PunBB 1.2.8. It's what all the cool people are doing.

40

Re: PunBB 1.2.8

Its all cool boys and girls but when it will be separate langfiles for admin section! I hate manually updating strings with every new update! Rickard if u have no time for that -- let me do that 1 time so i wont *** with localization of updates anymore it in future.

Re: PunBB 1.2.8

Nothing in the admin interface, or that would affect language files, was touched here tongue
I can see how you'd have an issue with, say, the changed files only package when a piece of the admin interface is updated, but in that case you should use patch or hdiff and manually update: a lot faster then redoing those strings smile

http://fluxbb.org

Free PunBB Hosting - lots of mods, easy to customize

Re: PunBB 1.2.8

badrad wrote:
Paul wrote:
Speechless wrote:

....when are we going to have a fairly stable version?
[fairly stable means: last about 10months-2years]

If a web app goes that long between fixes it doesn't mean its stable, it is more likely to mean that the developers are not owning up to and fixing security issues.

I agree. This constant attention is definitely a good thing, even though it shows how lazy I am. My Punbb is a franken 1.5 beast with various security patches applied by hand. I am still procrastinating a proper update until 1.3, as I know I'll have to rewrite a bunch of my forum anyway.

Lazyness! Glad Rickard doesn't suffer as badly as I do!

Welll, i guess we will need to start 2.0.0 sooner then later.
If richark is not going to start overhauling punbb, at least week can try make some obvious flaws to jump to 1.3.0

I am just suggesting this, DONT get offended because of me.

Go Canada! - No matter what, except when Stephen Harper is Prime Minster!
NHL is back, GO TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS! even if they lose...
[Firefox Rules!] - [Amazing Race] - [My Site!]

Re: PunBB 1.2.8

Security flaws won't mean 1.3 is released, it will be released when there are new features, and 2.0 will be released if Rickard decides to basically rewrite PunBB

44

Re: PunBB 1.2.8

how do i sign up for email notification? big_smile

45

Re: PunBB 1.2.8

here : http://punbb.org/newsletter.php

46

Re: PunBB 1.2.8

Connorhd wrote:

Security flaws won't mean 1.3 is released, it will be released when there are new features, and 2.0 will be released if Rickard decides to basically rewrite PunBB

I don't see how it can possibly be written better then it is.

And that says a lot. Bravo Rickard.

Re: PunBB 1.2.8

badrad wrote:

I don't see how it can possibly be written better then it is.

.NET rewrite? - Rickard is already working full time on .NET solutions, so the rewrite is only natural. ;-)

Re: PunBB 1.2.8

Right smile

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

49

Re: PunBB 1.2.8

Oh yummy. Do we get to use Frontpage extensions as well.

50

Re: PunBB 1.2.8

Then I can reach back into the recesses of my mind and use Visual Basic anew wink