Topic: Firefox Security Alert

http://blogs.washingtonpost.com/securit … lease.html

Re: Firefox Security Alert

Kennedy was referring to the heated debate in the security community over whether Firefox is any more secure than IE, a debate fanned by the release last week of a report pointing out that Firefox has fixed twice as many security flaws as IE so far this year

hahaha, thats good, so because more bugs get found in firefox means less exist in IE?

3 (edited by pogenwurst 2005-09-24 22:12)

I'm just plain sick of those kind of arguments. The number of security bugs doesn't matter. It's the severity of those bugs, how long it takes to patch them (if they are patched at all), and how those bugs are exploited by hackers and purveyors of spyware, adware, etc.

Looking for a certain modification for your forum? Please take a look here before posting.

also, just because the bugs aren't found for IE doesn't mean they are not there wink

Firefox has fixed twice as many security flaws as IE so far this year

Isn't that a good thing? That means that half of the bugs in IE are not fixed yet, right? tongue

Thank God I'm using firefox.

I too encounter Errors in IE n FF, But I never knew have to report also dont know how to report it.

God wisely designed the human body so that we can neither pat our own backs nor kick ourselves too easily

I prefer just let firefox find its own problem and download the latest version when it comes out

As for IE, I nearly got rid of it, except for the dail in part for my msn

Go Canada! - No matter what, except when Stephen Harper is Prime Minster!
NHL is back, GO TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS! even if they lose...
[Firefox Rules!] - [Amazing Race] - [My Site!]

Speechless wrote:

I prefer just let firefox find its own problem and download the latest version when it comes out

As for IE, I nearly got rid of it, except for the dail in part for my msn

From a consumer standpoint, I didn't need it, Firefox had everything I needed, with the necessary protection.

From a developers standpoint, I honestly could not live without it.  Still, Firefox has not yet reached 10% of the total market share, and might not ever.  What is the majority of the market?  Internet Explorer, because people don't know any better that there is much better software for their computers, that will protect and serve - for FREE.

Well, I have made it a point to get mostly everyone that I know to go out and install Firefox, not only for my peace-of-mind, but for the protection and longevity of their software and hardware.

-Steve

pogenwurst wrote:

I'm just plain sick of those kind of arguments. The number of security bugs doesn't matter. It's the severity of those bugs, how long it takes to patch them (if they are patched at all), and how those bugs are exploited by hackers and purveyors of spyware, adware, etc.

True.

But the truth is that Microsoft is very, very lax when it comes to security. In fact, they just recently skipped a security upgrade and rolled it over to the following month. Was it because there weren't any fixes? No...Actually, there were a few critical fixes that would prevent more browser hijacking.
It was sheer laziness.

The Moz people are on top of things. Errors are discovered and fixed very promptly. And usually aren't *that* severe. Nothing as bad as IE anyways. That what you get for grafting the browser so closely to the OS.

erissiva wrote:
pogenwurst wrote:

True.

But the truth is that Microsoft is very, very lax when it comes to security. In fact, they just recently skipped a security upgrade and rolled it over to the following month. Was it because there weren't any fixes? No...Actually, there were a few critical fixes that would prevent more browser hijacking.
It was sheer laziness.

The Moz people are on top of things. Errors are discovered and fixed very promptly. And usually aren't *that* severe. Nothing as bad as IE anyways. That what you get for grafting the browser so closely to the OS.

Just to clarify things, I said what I said in support of Firefox (I probably should have been a bit more clear). I'm not sure if you understood that or not. I agree with you totally.

Looking for a certain modification for your forum? Please take a look here before posting.

pogenwurt - Yeah, I know. I was backing up/reenforcing your point.
wink

Heh...sorry for the confusion.

erissiva wrote:

pogenwurt - Yeah, I know. I was backing up/reenforcing your point.
wink

Heh...sorry for the confusion.

Ok. I just wasn't sure. The "But the truth is" part kind of tripped me up.

pogenwurst wrote:

Ok. I just wasn't sure. The "But the truth is" part kind of tripped me up.

That was for the benefit of everyone else. Heh.
Sorry 'bout that.

Check out my blog post:IE: -20, Fx: -3. IE still loses.

erissiva: Nice weblog post. Enlightening.

thanks very much for the info.