Topic: "Printer Friendly" page with new header/footers for Topics/posts

I was just thinking a good mod would be the ability to have a 'Print' link with the "Edit | Quote" links on each post.

I'm guessing it would be something like a php file(s) that's called from this 'print' link which then strips the content in the posts and prepars them to a Printer templated/formatted page which can then be printed using the browsers usual print buttons, just like the major news sites do to save on printer ink and paper.

The printer link could ask what you want to print - First Post Only OR Entire thread (showing post count) for example (and any other options you can think of?).
It then opens a new window which shows the printer preview that the browser can then send to the Printer in a correct format.

I've got a Forum where users post guitar tabs so having the ability to print a tab post which, rather than printing the whole browser page with graphics/colours etc, it just takes the post, keeps the formatting of the post but writes new header and foot HTML for it which, in this case, could display proper sheet music headers for example. When they print a tab post, they can know that it will print properly and for me i can control how that print will look- branding the content with html headers for example.

I guess it would need to know what the parser file knows to keep the formatting, it would need to reference a new header/footer files and probably a lot of php!

Has anything like this been done? I reckon it would make a great addition, if someone wants to make it and take all the credit - PLEASE DO!!!  smile I can't do it, don't know PHP well enough!

Re: "Printer Friendly" page with new header/footers for Topics/posts

Personally I would much rather see it as a standard feature rather than a mod. However, I don't think it practical to give people print options. The easiest way is simply to print individual posts which is what people will want most of the time. You can accomplish a lot of it with a print stylesheet but I don't know how to get from hitting a print link to a new page which contains just the formatted content of the individual post.

We could add it to 1.3. A print stylesheet and maybe a print.tpl?

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Thats what I was thinking. I think it should be an always on feature though. If you are going to allow guests to read posts there isn't any point in stopping them printing them. That would also simplify the design of viewtopic since there will always be at least one item in the list of options at the end of each post. That means you don't need additinal markup to cope with the fact the post footer might be empty.

There is also a hidden accessibility benefit to this. The print friendly page will also be very friendly for anybody trying to view using a magnifier or very large font sizes.

Rickard wrote:

We could add it to 1.3. A print stylesheet and maybe a print.tpl?

A print.tpl would be a much better option. thanks

print tpl would be a nice future, and perhaps possible to toggle it off/on?

looking forward to it

I'm also looking forward to this. priority no1 feature request smile

We use punbb as an online meeting room, I am in hard need of clean printouts for IRL meetings.

Well, PunBB 1.3 has a print stylesheet for viewtopic right now. I prefer having just a print stylesheet as opposed to a print friendly page.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

The only downside of a print stylesheet is that it prevents printing a normal view of a page though I'm not quite sure why anybody would want to.