Topic: 'Delete button' moves post, rather than deletes it

I was wondering if it was possible to make it that deleting a thread would actually move it to a Trash-section etc, and if this would be relatively easy to do.

Re: 'Delete button' moves post, rather than deletes it

You mean archive it? I think that would be a cool added feature, but that it should be added - have a seperate Archive and Delete function.

There are some posts I want gone all the way. wink

What would be nice, is rather than simply deleting that members posts, is setting up a means to 'move' or migrate those posts to another member.

This way, if you want to delete a member, you can have the ability to select another member and migrate all the posts to that one, prior to deleting the first one.

I've run across the same problem.  I have some members i've culled from our database who had posted a lot of topics.  I don't want to simply delete those posts because they are useful, but on the other hand, if you delete the user, and not the posts, then they show up as a "Guest".

Having the above capability would be nice, and allow you to do everything in one motion.

4 (edited by Smartys 2005-10-18 15:47)

Raybo: I think I built a plugin for that a while back because someone asked for it
I'll see if I can dig it up

Edit:
http://punbb.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=8330
It seems it was made for you tongue
If you don't have mine and ultime's link doesn't work, I'll go poking again

What about make post/topics shown/unshown .. just add field
'show' to DB, add into query string AND show=1
when you wanna hide message you'll set show to null

Hm... every pixel has it's own destiny

Smartys wrote:

Raybo: I think I built a plugin for that a while back because someone asked for it
I'll see if I can dig it up It seems it was made for you tongue
If you don't have mine and ultime's link doesn't work, I'll go poking again

Hey Smartys,

Yes!  i use that plugin every day! smile

[did I say cleaing the DB is a royal pain in the butt?]

Your plugin has come in *very* handy and what the doctor ordered. smile

In real use, I have a lot of member profiles I'm updating.  In those cases where I'm not able to qualify them, I want to delete that member.  The problem arises with their posts.  i don't want to simply delete them, because they are useful to other member.  On the other hand, if I delete the member and leave the posts, then they show up as a "Guest".

I created a dummy member, and it's sole purpose in life is to be a dumping ground for those posts I've migrated.

Anyway, this is what gave me the idea in the first place.  Rather than a plugin, have all the drop downs on the 'delete member' page, so when you get ready to delete that member, use the drop down to 'move' those posts to another member first. [Hope that makes sense]

This would save a step or two.  Right now, I find the user I want to delete, use the Change Poster plugin, migrate those posts, then delete that member once I'm done.

Implementing all of the above into the delete page itself only makes sense in this regard.

In fact, I think this would be something very easy for Rickard to build into the 1.3. [??]

Just a thought ....