1 (edited by chrizz 2005-10-27 16:00)

Topic: [quote] is not interpreted ...

[quote]

is not interpreted when you make an author search and choose "Show results as posts"

Like this: http://punbb.org/forums/search.php?search_id=2018877764

edit: same with normal search, but with "Show results as posts".

Re: [quote] is not interpreted ...

Correct. Search results shown as posts are not parsed, its supposed to work that way.

Moving post.

Why is it like that?

Because we don't want to show the full post and parsing only part of a post is quite difficult. What if we show the first 200 characters and we end up in the middle of a quote or a code tag?

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

The idea is to show enough information for you to decide if you want to navigate to the full post, not for you to just read the posts as shown in the search results.

Rickard: except all of the post is shown, it's just "hidden" by the div

Smartys wrote:

Rickard: except all of the post is shown, it's just "hidden" by the div

$substr_sql = ($db_type != 'sqlite') ? 'SUBSTRING' : 'SUBSTR';
$sql = 'SELECT p.id AS pid, p.poster AS pposter, p.posted AS pposted, p.poster_id, '.$substr_sql.'(p.message, 1, 1000) AS message, t.id AS tid, t.poster, t.subject, t.last_post, t.last_post_id, t.last_poster, t.num_replies, t.forum_id FROM '.$db->prefix.'posts AS p INNER JOIN '.$db->prefix.'topics AS t ON t.id=p.topic_id WHERE p.id IN('.$search_results.') ORDER BY '.$sort_by_sql;

It is? smile

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Aha, I never actually checked the code, I just noticed that a lot less of the post is shown thanks to the div
and FYI: I made a really long post to test it, but when I did a strlen I found out that the number of characters shown was actually 1010.
What's the point of only showing part of the post though, if the div hides most of it?

How do you know the div hides most of it. In mystle.css the div might be height: auto, overflow: visible.

Paul: exactly my point, print out the whole post and let the stylesheet decide how much people "see"

I think this situation actaully came about because the code is from version 1.1 but the markup and css was completely changed for version 1.2.

But then you might end up seeing a big quote box with all the padding and stuff and then hardly anything of the actual post.

Is it possible to disable displaying emoticons or pictures within [ quote ] ??

Anything is possible, if you really want to do it then your best bet is probably using the [code ] stuff