Topic: Avatar Issue: The server was unable to save the uploaded file.

Hey All,

I got a user who said he tried to upload an image and got this error, "The server was unable to save the uploaded file. Please contact the forum administrator at ...."

What is odd is that avatars have been working fine for the past year I've been using punBB (that I know of).  I've got an avatar as do a bunch of other people and I've had no complaints until now.

I've read the other forum posts on the error and solved the problem by chmodding the directory from 750 to 777 but here's my question...

Why was everything working before with 750 permissions and why do I need 777 permissions now?  Is it possible somehow that directory WAS 777 before and somehow mysteriously changed to 750?  Or did a newer version of punBB start requiring 777 permissions?

Thanks in advance for your ideas!

Rob Ludlow 
www.Nifty-Stuff.com - Repository of all Stuff Nifty!
www.reviewum.com - Professor Ratings + Teacher Reviews

Re: Avatar Issue: The server was unable to save the uploaded file.

Perhaps their avatar was too big in file size or too big in width/height as specified in your forum settings.

I thought that too.... but  it fit all the specs.  In fact, when I changed the permissions of the folder it took the image.    So, avatars were working before with my server / script config and then stopped working within the past month.

Very odd.

Rob Ludlow 

What PHP version are you running on the server? Did you recently change it perhaps?

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Hey Rickard!  Currently running PHP version 4.3.9.    I don't know of a version upgrade, but I guess that's possible.  Could that have been the cause?

Rob Ludlow 

No, if it was 5.1, it might have been the problem, but I don't know of any such changes in 4.3.9. It is definately a non-PunBB issue though. I'm afraid I can't tell you what.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."