Topic: PunBB and Textpattern

Hi,

I've been playing around with Textpattern this week and I like what I see in version 4.0.2. Even though it's usually classified as a blog tool, you can use it for just about anything.

From reading the Texpattern and PunBB forums, I see many users using both apps on their sites and there's been talk about integrating them even closer. With PunBB 1.3 adding an extension mechanism and Textpattern having a plugin mechanism, I can see many possibilites.

Most of the sites I see using Textpattern are not blog like, as in you have users sign up. So I don't think an integration is about single login or merging user databases, at least I don't see it this way. The kind of integration I envision is more in the comments arena, handing over the commenting to the forum.

In Textpattern, an article is saved in two forms, how it was entered using Textile or whatever markup language you decide to use and in html. So it's basically converting the html to bbcode to feed over the article to the forum to start the thread. The commenting part is up for discussion but I'd like to be able see the comments on the front end displayed under the article as an option.

If you can envision it, your content would be available in two formats. The front end styled like you want it, pretty pictures and all, and in a simplistic discussion format in text mode. The best of both worlds from one content base.

Anyone interested?

Re: PunBB and Textpattern

I'm interested m8 , I'm using texp awhile now and also using punBB for the board, btw do you maybe have a recent posts addon on a site to show recent post's from the punBB forum!?

Me too aswell ! tongue

Benoît V.
My Board

Hey, glad to hear there's interest in this.

At present, I'm learning Textpattern, the tags system for skins, etc. There's very little documentaion for plugins but I'm looking over some exisiting ones to get a feel for how it all works.

pos3idon, you can use extern.php, there's documentation included in the file. Or use the rss.php that has been tweaked over time: http://punbb.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=6586

Launched a new site a few days ago: http://PHPXref.com

The front end is running Textpattern, I plan on using PunBB for the forum side once 1.3 is released.

This will be my testbed site for an integration, just wish there were more hours in the day.

hcgtv wrote:

Hey, glad to hear there's interest in this.

At present, I'm learning Textpattern, the tags system for skins, etc. There's very little documentaion for plugins but I'm looking over some exisiting ones to get a feel for how it all works.

pos3idon, you can use extern.php, there's documentation included in the file. Or use the rss.php that has been tweaked over time: http://punbb.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=6586

yeah m8 tnx I've figured it out wink

Just wanted to chime in and say that this is still a go.

I've got 3 sites I plan to use this integration on and more will follow.

me three smile