Topic: PunBB 1.2 - What's to come

Whenever I change anything worth noting, I update the changelog, so please take time to review it now and then.

Here's the TODO list for PunBB 1.2:

- [DONE] Completely new, XHTML 1.0 Strict and semantically correct markup and CSS by Paul Sullivan.
- [DONE] New markup for the admin interface by Paul Sullivan.
- [DONE] New user group system.
- [DONE] Admin plugin system.
- [DONE] Vertical admin navigation.
- [DONE] SQLite support.
- [DONE] Simple file-based caching of static data.
- [DONE] Make use of unbuffered database queries whenever possible.
- [DONE] More advanced BBCode pre-parsing.
- [DONE] Revised profile options (see this topic).
- [DONE] New upload code that works with open_basedir restrictions in effect.
- [DONE] Search for users in userlist.
- [DONE] Save IP address used during registration (see this topic).
- [DONE] Work with PHP error level E_ALL (i.e. initialize all variables before use).
- [DONE] Redirect forums (see this topic).
- [DONE] Ability to delete all of a specific users posts.
- [DONE] User language selection (in register.php and in profile.php).
- [DONE] More time zones (i.e. -3.5 for Newfoundland).
- [DONE] Post preview.
- [DONE] Improved documentation by Bert Garcia.
- Test, test, test.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Re: PunBB 1.2 - What's to come

Ahhhh could someone enlighten me about the open_basedir restrictions topic? Some of us have never even been to Sweden! wink
And that seems like some problem I might have to care about.

In PunBB 1.1.2, when an avatar is uploaded, it is first checked so that it isn't too large (via getimagesize()) and then moved to the avatar directory with move_uploaded_files(). However, with open_basedir restrictions in place, PHP very seldom (never?) has read access to the upload tmp directory. The solution is to move the file to the avatar directory and then do the size check. It results in uglier code, but I guess we don't have a choice.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Updated.

I look forward to 1.2 smile Keep up the excellent work Rickard wink

About vCard ...
I just notied that "vBulletin Version 3.0.0 Release Candidate 4" has it, at least on forum.racesimcentral.com. At least the possibility to export a vCard (one can click the profile of a user and download a vCard)

this is the info from mine

BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
N:;Frank H
FN:Frank H
EMAIL;PREF;INTERNET:frank_h@racesimcentral.com
BDAY:1979-03-14
URL:http://warthog.campus.luth.se/Frank/
REV:2004-03-14T21:15:44Z
END:VCARD

Hehe, I read that link in the last post at racismcentral.com - I thought it was a little risky!

Frank H wrote:

About vCard ...
I just notied that "vBulletin Version 3.0.0 Release Candidate 4" has it, at least on forum.racesimcentral.com. At least the possibility to export a vCard (one can click the profile of a user and download a vCard)

Yes, it does have downloadable vCard support, but I plan on taking it a few steps further :D vCard is nice because it's standard, but it is not specifically created for bulletin board profiles.

Whee! I actually got around to doing something. Two more items on the todo list gone. See the changelog for details.

And more today!

Waiting for 1.2 smile

What is your plans for that "news system thingy"? I've have had some thoughts on writing a "mini" CMS integrated with PunBB but if a news system is included in v1.2 I don't know if it's worth the effort to write a system myself smile

"Real programmers are those that can sleep in front of terminals ... with their eyes opened."

"Real programmers don't work from 9 to 5. If any real programmers are around at 9am it's because they were up all night."

I don't know. I haven't given it much thought. It's not a top priority, I can tell you that much :)

13 (edited by dR slIzer 2004-05-18 21:07)

If it's not high priority I think I will give it a try and get something written smile I don't have anything better to do anyway smile

edit: If somebody is interested I have started to code on this 'mini CMS' of mine. I have finished the design (which looks like this: http://dr-slizer.no-ip.com/stash/design.htm) and have started on the PHP coding. I'm hoping on getting a almost functional Alpha by the end of this week (yes, I have much spare time this week smile).

"Real programmers are those that can sleep in front of terminals ... with their eyes opened."

"Real programmers don't work from 9 to 5. If any real programmers are around at 9am it's because they were up all night."

With the user groups, would it be possible to automatically assign moderation rights of forums to certain groups?

We'll see. I haven't even begun to consider how it will work.

Did you make up your mind about implementing user groups in the end, Rickard? I see there's a question mark next to it.

I'm in need of some sort of user groups system but I won't do it anytime soon, no time. And I don't want to install the mod if it's in 1.2, I'd rather do a removable dirty hack. Just to know :).

Yes, it will be in 1.2. The question mark is there because I haven't decided how to implement it :D

Is there anyway to test a beta of 1.2? I would like to check the sqlite support...

thx in advance

Felipe Lopes

Not right now. I am however working on setting up SubVersion (similar to CVS, but better). When that's ready, you will be able to fetch the latest development version via the repository. I just haven't had time to play with it these last few weeks. It will settle down in a week or two.

Rickard wrote:

Not right now. I am however working on setting up SubVersion (similar to CVS, but better). When that's ready, you will be able to fetch the latest development version via the repository.

Yumm. Can't wait! :D

Thanks for pointing out SubVersion to me, I can't believe I haven't heard of it before. :/
Time to read up on it. (I love professional, free ebooks)

will you update this post with more [done] when you have done anything more?

Yes, I update it whenever I finish one of the things on the list. All changes (even smaller ones) can be found in the changelog.

I'd be willing to develop the admin plugin system - I'm fairly familiar already with dynamic file/class creation and management.

Also, it'd be very nice to see something like the following in use when available - but that requires fairly advanced HTML validation to prune out things like <html>, <head>, and <body> tags - and other things which can be more damaging, like <script>.  Below is a screenshot which links to a live demonstration, fully contained in one page.  CSS, JavaScript, and IE required. ;-)

http://www.marginsoftware.com/attachments/inline/ss.png

I'm not too sure about the HTMLArea-thingy. PunBB support only a subset of the tags required for a field such as that one to be of any real use.

The admin plugin system will not really be a plugin system. It will just be a matter of dropping a script in a directory, so even though I'm flattered by your will to help, it really isn't nessecary. At least not right now. I'll keep your offer in mind though.

25 (edited by Cailean 2004-06-14 00:48)

matt.bevan wrote:

CSS, JavaScript, and IE required. ;-)

And right there is an excellent reason NOT to implement this!

My $0.02.

Find what you want...  Where you want it... www.truelocal.com