1 (edited by Adz 2005-03-09 11:01)

Topic: XMB 1.9 to PunBB converter

Hi all,

Further to my previous posts, I have decided to write converter for those with XMB 1.9 forums who wish to migrate to PunBB.

I have so far almost completed the user part, working successfully for a migration of 3000+ users and their settings.

I will detail any problems and imcompatibilites as I go along, with the aim of releasing a php script for those whishing to migrate.

Adam

incompatibilities

XMB has a few fields that PunBB doesnt seem to have an equiveabent of:

* birthday - this is used to calculate age, and also for XMB's "todays birthdays" list.
* dateformat / timeformat - I was supsrised to find that PunBB doesnt support user customisation of time and date display?
* avatars - XMB uses hotlinking, PunBB uses file uploads. It's possible I could write a script to convert, but not at the moment.
* last_post field in PunBB - XMB does not have this field, but I will see about a simple calculation to fix that.
* mood and bio fields in XMB - PunBB doesnt have an equivalent from what I can tell - the bio field is often used, and the mood field is normally used for all sorts of things, in my case, what car they drive.

Re: XMB 1.9 to PunBB converter

Might I suggest you add this capability to the punbb migration tool? That way we have one converter tool instead of a whole bunch. Talk to Chacmool.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Didnt know there was a migration tool smile

I looked at the tool, and to be frank I just dont have time to work out how it works, so I will be posting just a standalone script.

I'm nearly there, have done the category, forum, topic and post conversions, just need to polish it off with a few functions to convert moderators, last post id's etc.

Good work. Although the "Todays Birthday" list is not a standard feature in XMB anyway.. its a hack.

Been wanting this to come along for a while now smile

You're probably right about the birthday hack, i havnt actually touched xmb's code for quite a while now smile

nearly there, would you be able to test it for me andy?

7 (edited by Andy 2005-03-09 16:24)

If you like. I have quite a bit of experience with XMB in general.

Although it would still be a good idea to try and contact Chacmool. If you could work with him to integrate your converter into the migration tool, it would make things a lot easier.

easier for who? not for me, sorry!

I had a look at the migration tool, but there's no dev-notes; this is the result of me wanting to convert the data as quick as possible, unfrotunately I do not have time to work out how to get this to work with the migration tool.

Maybe later.

Adz wrote:

easier for who? not for me, sorry!

I had a look at the migration tool, but there's no dev-notes; this is the result of me wanting to convert the data as quick as possible, unfrotunately I do not have time to work out how to get this to work with the migration tool.

Maybe later.

Surely you would put some extra effort in for the good of the punBB community?

Chacmool hangs out in #punbb on Quaknet IRC and you can find his email address in his profile.

http://punbb.org/forums/profile.php?id=243

Yes i can put "extra" effort in, but not right now.