Topic: Need help with php and mysql.

I'm on a free server that only allowes one mysql db. I have thought of converting my whole site to just the forums. But after thinking it over, this looks kinda cheap and unprofessional. I post a lot of topics and such, and now I am thinking of Making a we(blog). Now, I want a comment system in there as well, but I only want registered Users to be able to post comments. So, I was thinking If it was possible to show the article that I write and post that in a topic to appear on a webpage that is accesing the post from the mysql database. Of course I know this involves some hard coding, but I don't think I would mind that much. Hence, there would be a link for comments and so one and so forth, that is pretty straight forward. I'm learning php right now, so go easy. The eaisest way to discourage a noob from learning is by overwhelming them.

Oh, and the server has phpmyadmin, so that helps.

And if it seems like I am rambling, (which I probably am...), feel free to tell me, and I will try to explain my situation better. (Its late, I am tired, and I am waiting for the restroom to empty.....)

Do, or do not.

Re: Need help with php and mysql.

You should bear in mind is that you can run multiple scripts from one database. All you have to do is make sure when you install them you specify a prefix for the tables to prevent attempting to create more than one table with the same name. For instanace you could install PunBB with a prefix of "pun" and then install a blog script with the prefix "blog". Things only get difficult when you try to integrate the login system i.e. so the blog uses PunBB's login/membership system so users don't have to login seperately for the blog and PunBB. Hopefully someone else can point you in the right direction for doing that.

The other option is modding PunBB to use topics as news items and replies to them as comments but that requires quite a lot of work. In particular you would have to be able to set permissions for individual forums otherwise anybody could post a new topic which would appear as a blog/news item. I think there are already some posts around here about using PunBB as a news system.

I've done just that today (implementing the same user/pwd for the private site and for punBB), although that comes from different packages and the userlist is different, it would be quite easier if you design your own package with that in mind. If you still on thta, and need ideas just ask.

Well, I have already started Punbb with out a prefix. Server is running phpmyadmin, so not a problem there. How would I go about backing up the data, and then adding prefixes, and then restoring the data for punbb?

Do, or do not.

Thant doesn't make much sense, simply add the same prefix to all tables, and then edit config.php with that same prefix.

Ah, that works. Thank you. *Hits Head Against Wall*. But I will still back up just incase.

Do, or do not.

is there somebody who can help me with putting the Poll in my forum because im not so good with PHP is there somebody who wanna help me to install this? let me know on eddy@highschoolfever.com already thnx

Um...

Anyway, How would I go about adding the prefixes? Would the prefixes be like _pun?

Do, or do not.

@zc923: usually it's more like pun_ but feel free to innovate ;-)

@eddy: first DL the mod, then check the install.txt or something like that. It's very much text editing only, no PHP knowledge required.

Ok, thanks on the pun_ part, but how would I go about changing the table names?

Do, or do not.

phpmyadmin... ok, for each table, select the tab Operations (just right of export), and there's the option change name... smile

Yeah, so maybe I'm not ment to be a detective. so?

Thanks for the help, I got it working.

Do, or do not.