Topic: Time to feed myself to the wolves again. :D

Just wanting to know what the general opinions are on the latest incarnation. big_smile big_smile Anything I've overlooked, or which needs tweaking?

http://forums.bauchan.org/testforum/index.php

Cheers,

Matt

Re: Time to feed myself to the wolves again. :D

Looks great. I don't understand the link for PHP-Fusion though? You can also check out the PHP Fusion site at run at: http://phpfusion-themes.com and see my work.

bingiman wrote:

Looks great.

Cheers. smile I'm quite chuffed at getting a thumbs up from yourself. smile

bingiman wrote:

I don't understand the link for PHP-Fusion though? You can also check out the PHP Fusion site at run at: http://phpfusion-themes.com and see my work.

I use fusion for the downloads site. Same as with the Genu link, which has the articles. Those two aren't directly tied into the forums, but the forums are the main port of call, so decided to lump all the logos there. smile The downloads/articles sites contain all the external info for the main forums. I've spent a good while checking out some of your themes when I first set php-fusion up. You've created some absolute corkers there. smile

Just on the off chance, Paul and Jeremie. Any chance you two might cast an eye over the styling, with regards to the html/css side of things. Just asking because I know you two have the most critical eye of any mistakes or possible pitfalls. big_smile Main thing I want this theme to achieve is usability and clarity with lack of excess bumph. (I know the software link logos detract from that philosophy, but I want to leave those in place, as a courtesy).

Cheers hopefully in advance,

Matt

Erm... boxes in boxes? looks kinda weird

StevenBullen wrote:

Erm... boxes in boxes? looks kinda weird

Aye. big_smile I know that's one of my weird quirks, and I'm almost sure I had a good reason for it at the time. big_smile That one was just down to grouping. For some reason, it just seemed to look better with the boxes within a containing box, rather than separate. Either that or I do just have naff taste. big_smile

7 (edited by MattF 2007-10-03 20:01)

Just incase anyone fancies have an arse around with it, to see what they think, have setup a test account on it:

Username: Testaccount
Password: testpass

Think I've finally got everything working spot on now, so I'm open to opinions again. big_smile big_smile

8 (edited by quaker 2007-10-03 20:49)

mattf, I really do like it but i cant understand why u would do a iframe of the forums.php inside the index? seem like everything can be done with just a simple index.php and a forum.php i really dont see where the php-fusion is used at?
I might be wrong. but just asking on a simple level...lol.

Q

My stuff or my style might sux, but atleast I'm willing to help when I can.
Don't be stupid and help ! We are the stupid one's !!!

That <object> frame is pointing back to the forum just with it being a test forum. big_smile On the proper forum site, they link to the external, (in relation to the forum), sites, which is where Fusion and Genu come in. big_smile

Umm, do you really need all those buttons down the bottom of the forums home page etc?

I could never figure out why people do that - to me it's like people who drive cars with stickers on them showing their tyre brand, oil brand, petrol flavour and brand, light-globe maker, air-filter brand, shock-absorber maker etc etc. Handy to know if you need to do some emergency repairs ???

In web site terms I guess having those buttons there may be handy to hackers, so it's probably not completely useless smile

11 (edited by MattF 2007-10-03 21:05)

sirena wrote:

Umm, do you really need all those buttons down the bottom of the forums home page etc?

Nope. big_smile I class them as a courtesy. Open Source can never be over promoted, and the fact that I use the software deserves some small token in return, in my opinion. They're only shown on the main forum and index page, btw. They're not at the bottom of all pages. smile

In web site terms I guess having those buttons there may be handy to hackers, so it's probably not completely useless smile

There are a lot of more precise ways of finding out exactly what a webserver is running, without having to look at icons. big_smile Security through obscurity is a complete and utter fallacy. Security is gained through security, and nothing more.

MattF wrote:

There are a lot of more precise ways of finding out exactly what a webserver is running, without having to look at icons. big_smile Security through obscurity is a complete and utter fallacy. Security is gained through security, and nothing more.

Security = security, you say. Can't argue with that smile

But 'security' is a process and concept that may legitimately include many different forms of obscurity, and has been the case for thousands of years. Millions even.

Think of the value of camouflage as protective mechanism employed by military types for many many years and indeed in the animal kingdom to mask, confuse and conceal things, to blend inconspicuously into the background. That's a pretty useful form of security by obscurity.

Security by obscurity is also the concept behind stealth technology (think F-117, B-2, F-22 etc etc), which is of course pretty popular with many security and military systems - ie if my enemy can't see me, he can't hit me, or as a general strategy to improve survivability in complex threat environments. Sounds good to me, since the web sure is one of the latter smile

And yeah, hard-core baddies won't rely on buttons, which may be decoys anyhow. But they sure may help some folks start their target profiling...

sirena wrote:

But 'security' is a process and concept that may legitimately include many different forms of obscurity, and has been the case for thousands of years. Millions even.

Obscurity is one point you moot as soon as you connect a server to the internet. big_smile