Topic: Modification in registration

Can i modify the registration procedure in such a way that the user could enter the following details such as

1. user name
2. password
3. password confirmation
4. Email

and to complete the registration by sending a link to the email provided to confirm the email address given by the user.

Re: Modification in registration

hrm, i thought thats what punbb does? its in the admin options if im not mistaken, but give or take a little its about the same as you describe.

In the default system its works like we dont give the password at the registration time.. a computer generated password will send to the email used for registration

Go to Admin->Options->the block "Registration"->select "yes" for "verify registrations"

FluxBB - v1.4.8

lie2815 wrote:

Go to Admin->Options->the block "Registration"->select "yes" for "verify registrations"

But that doesn't allow users to choose their own password at registration wink

6 (edited by adithyan 2007-06-12 14:57)

I want the registration in such a way that the user could give the username and password (in the register.php itself) during the time of registration and just a verification email that contain a link to be sent to the email address provided

i want the registration page smiler to the registration page of http://forums.digitalpoint.com

7 (edited by lie2815 2007-06-12 15:08)

oh so you want a mix of both

adithyan wrote:

i want the registration page smiler to the registration page of http://forums.digitalpoint.com

What do you mean?

FluxBB - v1.4.8

I want my users to choose their own password during registration.

9 (edited by mindlessoath 2007-06-12 17:58)

most all other forums will do this... i see what he is talking about now.

when you sign up at a forum it will ask for...
username
password
verify password
email address
verify email address.

then you submit.

you will then recive an email soon with a link to authenticate that your email address is valid.  there is no random password to change, its just setup with the initail submit and verified with the link sent in the email.

by going to the link in your email that the forum sent it just enables your account and you dont need to change your password cause you already choose it before you pressed submit.

i too would love this, its much easier, but then again    CAN someone find out what the links are and cause exploits?
anyways, i cant belive that punbb doesnt have this already or a mod to do this (is there?)

example of what punbb does - enter your username and info - ie timezone etc... then it sends you an email with a randomly generated password - then you login and change that password and whatever info you want in your profile - etc, a bit annoying for some.

mindlessoath wrote:

most all other forums will do this... i see what he is talking about now.

when you sign up at a forum it will ask for...
username
password
verify password
email address
verify email address.

then you submit.

you will then recive an email soon with a link to authenticate that your email address is valid.  there is no random password to change, its just setup with the initail submit and verified with the link sent in the email.

by going to the link in your email that the forum sent it just enables your account and you dont need to change your password cause you already choose it before you pressed submit.

i too would love this, its much easier, but then again    CAN someone find out what the links are and cause exploits?
anyways, i cant belive that punbb doesnt have this already or a mod to do this (is there?)

example of what punbb does - enter your username and info - ie timezone etc... then it sends you an email with a randomly generated password - then you login and change that password and whatever info you want in your profile - etc, a bit annoying for some.

thanks mindlessoath .... yaa exactly thats what i meant

Is there any solutions?

anyone? is this planned for 1.3? can it be added to the 1.3 plan as annother admin option?

No, there are no plans to include this in 1.3, although I'm sure it could be written as an extension.

The easiest way to do this in 1.2 is probably to set activate_string for the new user to the properly hashed password, activate_key for the new user to a key, and not to set a password for the user. Then, change the registration email to be similar to the change password email and use the change_pass feature of profile.php as a means of activation. The user then can't login until the password change link is clicked.

I too think this would be a great modification or addition to the admin panel.

Smartys, I think the behaviour you have described earlier is what this forum uses. In my opinion, it's even better to ask the user to set a password to be able to login from initial registration process and email verification one, since some users after registration forget to change their random passwords generated then keep hitting the administrative mailing list and keep asking why my password is wrong. If you could please describe in details of what to do, I would very appreciate that.