Topic: PunBB First Time: very much questions

Hello, I have istalled PunBB by few days. I think it's just what I searched! :-)

I've only some doubts I'd not be able to read the solution anywhere:

1) why the choose of cookie is in profile and not at login? It's not better for an user that login to forum also from other PCs?

2) there's a way to automatically install a mod (like phpBB)?

3) why users can't set their preferences about subscription? It is very useful if I want to be subscribed automatically every time.

Re: PunBB First Time: very much questions

Lucas Malor wrote:

1) why the choose of cookie is in profile and not at login? It's not better for an user that login to forum also from other PCs?

You can login from multiple computers easily regardless of cookie settings.  However this isn't a profile feature of PunBB--there are no cookie settings a user can change in their profile.

Lucas Malor wrote:

2) there's a way to automatically install a mod (like phpBB)?

Until 1.3, no.  That is a very new thing for phpBB, as it sat stagnant for ~4 years with the manual modifications.

The Wicked Flea wrote:

there are no cookie settings a user can change in their profile.

You are wrong, the option is "Save username and password between visits" :-)

Furthermore, I noticed I can't login without enabling cookies. This could be a problem, because very much people block all cookies :-/

( PS: for the point 3? There's not a way to enable/disable per-user auto-subscription? )

Lucas Malor wrote:

Furthermore, I noticed I can't login without enabling cookies. This could be a problem, because very much people block all cookies :-/

Tell those users to get their heads out of their arses, then. They pose no threat at all.

( PS: for the point 3? There's not a way to enable/disable per-user auto-subscription? )

I thought the option was there, could be wrong.

2. Not until 1.3, as was said.
3. Again, 1.3 has that option

6 (edited by Lucas Malor 2007-09-26 14:44)

Smartys wrote:

3. Again, 1.3 has that option

Good, I'll certainly upgrade :-)

I hope the "automod" tool is locale and not online... I remember bad experience of slowness with phpBB, modding something with its bad tool... :-(

Another question, it's planned (or exists a mod that do) the upload of an avatar from an url and not from locale?

For the cookie, I think I'll put the hands in the code if I'll have time, because I don't like this solution... :-/

Lucas Malor wrote:

Another question, it's planned (or exists a mod that do) the upload of an avatar from an url and not from locale?

Mhhh.... Nothing? I would know the same thing also for SIZE, LIST and CENTER bbcodes... someone knows something about? :-)

Lucas Malor wrote:
Lucas Malor wrote:

Mhhh.... Nothing? I would know the same thing also for SIZE, LIST and CENTER bbcodes... someone knows something about? :-)

There is no plan to allow you to "upload" an avatar from a URL, although there are existing mods and there will undoubtedly be one for 1.3

We are also going to have list BBCode. All of the ones you listed though can be added via mods.

Thanks for all :-)

10 (edited by Lucas Malor 2007-09-28 16:22)

Excuse me, the last two questions: it's planned also a list of subscribed topics in control panel, and a default name for guests?

PS: do you suggest me to wait the release of PunBB 1.3 , or to apply the MODs for the moment?