Topic: Search is broken

Hello, just a new report that on our forum (1.2M+ posts) complex searches return no results - believed cause is the length of the queries, which tend to become insanely huge with a forum of that size. So maybe instead of increasing the limits of our sql server (which are already pretty high) it would make sense to review the search for oncoming versions?

/me begging for a sphinx search plugin

Re: Search is broken

1.3 has FULLTEXT search for MySQL.
I would be interested to know why the queries are just stopping like that though (do you have a script that kills long running queries?)

Nope, I guess it may hit one of mysql's limits... some buffer somewhere, or max request lenght... I don't know.. but long requests don't go through smile
From what I remember it's when the answer of the mysql is too big. For example for some time "Posts without answer" was broken, in the end we added a limit and it was fine. We may end up doing the same for that. But anyway, never found anything I was looking for with the default search, our users are using google anyway... but still hmm

It could be your host killing the query, I can't find any references to MySQL having any sort of automatic query killing built in.

Maybe you have to change to a better host

I do think we found the cause of this, it was because the size of the results were too large to store in a TEXT field.