Topic: Is there any other open source forum with support for plugins?

PunBB 1.3 is going to have support for extensions/plugins. (extend the functionality without editing the code) Is there any other open source forum software that have the same functionality? phpBB doesn't have it and SMF uses some kind of "automodder". The only alternative I've found is Vanilla.

Does this mean that PunBB will be small and fast, with the possibility to easily become as feature-rich as it's bigger sibblings?

In other words, 1.3 might make PunBB a real competitor for the throne of forum software.

Re: Is there any other open source forum with support for plugins?

it's very possible.

~James
FluxBB - Less is more

3 (edited by liquidat0r 2007-10-10 21:49)

Well, here's a list of PHP forum software: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison … ware_(PHP)

I would have thought that at least one of those might have the same, or similar, functionality that PunBB 1.3 will have.

---

Along with the 'official' extensions that will be offered with PunBB, PunBB 1.3 really is going to be a competitive bit of software.

liquidat0r wrote:

Well, here's a list of PHP forum software: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison … _software_(PHP)

I would have thought that at least one of those might have the same, or similar, functionality that PunBB 1.3 will have.

---

Along with the 'official' extensions that will be offered with PunBB, PunBB 1.3 really is going to be a competitive bit of software.

Yes, I've seen that list to. smile Of course I haven't tried them all, but none of those that I have tried was what PunBB is (hopefully) going to be.

Yes, on the paper PunBB 1.3 (well, probaly 1.3.5 or something, it won't be perfect at the first try) could very well be the best forum software, period.

Two problems though:

- 1.3 isn't here
- there's some question about the current and future state of PunBB (ownership, etc.)

Jérémie wrote:

- there's some question about the current and future state of PunBB (ownership, etc.)

???

MattF wrote:
Jérémie wrote:

???

http://txpun.com/blog/punbb-glasnost

That's a bugger if it's true. That could only happen from future versions onwards though, couldn't it?

9 (edited by Jérémie 2007-10-11 09:52)

Since this wasn't even discussed, released, or anything, from the dev team; well if it's true nothing is impossible short of retroactively changing the license.

Note that, again if it's true, it's not per se a bad thing. PunBB would (short of a complete rewrite) still be open source, the dev team would have real money to work on it, etc.

I was just saying that there's some questions around, especially when we intersect the slow motion of development with that news.

punbb 1.3 now with kaspersky plugin hehehe!!

Jérémie wrote:

Yes, on the paper PunBB 1.3 (well, probaly 1.3.5 or something, it won't be perfect at the first try) could very well be the best forum software, period.

Two problems though:

- 1.3 isn't here

This should clear things up a bit.

Also, on the topic of other forum software with a similar plugin architecture to PunBB 1.3, one would have to mention vBulletin 3.something. PunBB's system is based on the same principle as vBulletin's system. I do believe we've taken it a few steps further though.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Rickard wrote:

Also, on the topic of other forum software with a similar plugin architecture to PunBB 1.3, one would have to mention vBulletin 3.something.

Yes, but vBulletin isn't free. wink

More important, vB isn't libre (when Pun is GPL on top of that).

And vB is a huge mechanic... PunBB's 1.3 way of doing thing, philosophy, is much better... the mechanic, the forum capabilities, and nothing else in the core, everything else is a plugin.

With vB, by default it has a ton of useless junk that clutter the software, and slow it down dramatically.

The only drawback is the possible lack of official (or very serious) plugins, and the possible lack of plugins update tools.

We have this issue with Textpattern... is very rare to be able to use it without plugins, but one can't update his TXP install until the various plugin author have updated their plugin to the new version. And one has to keep track of changes, plugins updates, and so on, by hand, by himself. And keeping up to date several installations is a pain in the... rear area, a deep one.

But shouldn't it be possible to make an extension to download and update other extensions? An extension repository, like package management systems in *NIX systems.

intedinmamma wrote:

But shouldn't it be possible to make an extension to download and update other extensions? An extension repository, like package management systems in *NIX systems.

It would be possible. And it's a cool idea smile

Yeah, but I think it'd work better as a CLI tool tbh.

elbekko wrote:

And for the majority that hasn't got access to a shell at his/her host?

intedinmamma wrote:
elbekko wrote:

Get a real host, or update by hand? big_smile

Jérémie wrote:
intedinmamma wrote:
elbekko wrote:

Get a real host, or update by hand? big_smile

Seems to me that there will be (at least) two solutions to the same problem then. wink