Topic: Use of several SQL servers

We want to put the searches on a separate SQL server... It would be great if the code could be in the mainstream smile Is this a feature someone has already needed/used?

Re: Use of several SQL servers

search? It seems like that's a two liner: close the existing database connection and open a new one on your separate MySQL server.

I'm curious: what would the architecture of the site need to be to accomplish this?

Also couldn't you just 'load-balance' MySQL across 2 servers?

Sirena > several things. "Load balancing" could be achieved with mysql proxy, but it's only alpha quality for now.
Then, punbb's search is quite poor (huge tables, lineary growing requests, no weighting of results) - it takes a long time to execute, and therefore locks several tables. If someone posts at the same time someone is searching, nobody will be able to even browse the forum before the search is ended. By putting the searches on another server, we hope to get rid of these locks, before we develop some search based on lucene / sphinxsearch / whatever.

Yann: would my solution work?
Also, have you tried the fulltext search mod for 1.2?

Opening a second connection would indeed be best for this. Don't forget to do it on every page that modifies the search tho.

Bekko: That's not true tongue
I'm assuming this is a master/save setup, with one of the slaves being used exclusively for search. You would still write to the master.

Erm, if your search tables are on a separate server, you have to make a new connection to that server to search/update the search.

Oh, and the fulltext mod can't really be trusted as it has proven to have quite a bit of issues with permissions.

elbekko wrote:

Erm, if your search tables are on a separate server, you have to make a new connection to that server to search/update the search.

Ah, my understanding was that he wanted to put search *requests* on a different server, since that's where the evil, difficult queries are. smile

elbekko wrote:

Oh, and the fulltext mod can't really be trusted as it has proven to have quite a bit of issues with permissions.

Bah, yet another thing to put on my todo list to look at hmm

Someone posted a fix to the permissions issue in that mod very similar to the one I just coded tongue

Hey Smartys, yeah, the mod has been around for quite a long time, but I was made aware of the security issues, which stopped my from deploying it. I would prefer wait for either a search coded with sphinxsearch/htdig/lucene (I am getting told we're getting closer) or a more tested search in 1.3 smile