1 (edited by bingiman 2007-11-23 01:08)

Topic: Validation issue that makes no sense

I am having a strange problem and I don't know why it is happening.

On my new site when I click the http://validator.w3.org/referrer the site comes up with the following errors. It also says that there is no valid stylesheet. I know my site is XHTML 1.0 Strict! and my css files are in perfect. however, if I click the link again it shows up as valid and everything is normal. Could this also have something to do with the new changes to pun 1.2.16? 

# Line 1, Column 0: no document type declaration; implying "<!DOCTYPE HTML SYSTEM>".

<HTML><HEAD><META HTTP-EQUIV="Refresh" CONTENT="0.1; URL=/">

?

The checked page did not contain a document type ("DOCTYPE") declaration. The Validator has tried to validate with a fallback DTD, but this is quite likely to be incorrect and will generate a large number of incorrect error messages. It is highly recommended that you insert the proper DOCTYPE declaration in your document -- instructions for doing this are given above -- and it is necessary to have this declaration before the page can be declared to be valid.
# Error Line 4, Column 6: end tag for "HEAD" which is not finished.

</HEAD></HTML>

?

Most likely, you nested tags and closed them in the wrong order. For example <p><em>...</p> is not acceptable, as <em> must be closed before <p>. Acceptable nesting is: <p><em>...</em></p>

Another possibility is that you used an element which requires a child element that you did not include. Hence the parent element is "not finished", not complete. For instance, in HTML the <head> element must contain a <title> child element, lists (ul, ol, dl) require list items (li, or dt, dd), and so on.
# Error Line 4, Column 13: end tag for "HTML" which is not finished.

</HEAD></HTML>

?

Most likely, you nested tags and closed them in the wrong order. For example <p><em>...</p> is not acceptable, as <em> must be closed before <p>. Acceptable nesting is: <p><em>...</em></p>

Another possibility is that you used an element which requires a child element that you did not include. Hence the parent element is "not finished", not complete. For instance, in HTML the <head> element must contain a <title> child element, lists (ul, ol, dl) require list items (li, or dt, dd), and so on.

Bingiman

Re: Validation issue that makes no sense

It may just be a temporary glitch they're suffering. It happens occasionally.

3 (edited by bingiman 2007-11-23 01:31)

Well, that's the strange thing. All my other websites work on the first go. It is only the new site that has this problem. I wonder if it could be the new host that I am on now.

http://lorkan.com - http://shednotes.com and http://shedrockonline.com - weird..

Everything appears fine with the site, so unless it continues regarding the validator for an indefinite period, I wouldn't worry. I got caught out by the W3C validator throwing a wobbler when I was making all the code Xhtml 1.1 compliant, so it does happen. (Usually when you least expect it). big_smile That one caused me hours of unnecessary code scanning for a non-existent problem. big_smile

Just use FF with the html validator plugin whilst you're working on things, and then use the W3C validator as a final check. That's what I do these days.

yeah, that's what I always do actually. Oh well, I'll keep an eye on it and try not obsessing over it. big_smile

Thanks Matt.

I checked and rechecked. This is definitely a problem on my new site. If I don't visit the site for a while and then click on the link to validate I get those 3 errors. I also did it with my other 3 sites over and over and I never get the problem. It is only happening with the new site.

What's the site that's having the issue?

Well, it is not public. how can I contact you to give you the site URL?

bingiman wrote:

how can I contact you to give you the site URL?

Smartys at this domain. big_smile

Did note a slight bit of slugginshness on the page load, but nothing too extreme. Have you tried that forum dir from one of your other hosts?

You did? It is a new host that I signed up with. I find them much faster than the other hosts that I currently have. Hmm..that's odd. 19 Queries, but then again all the other pun sites I run are more or less the same.

bingiman: yup, email, smartys at this domain

I sent it. big_smile

Cheers!

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

Delivery to the following recipients failed.

I just sent myself an email from several different accounts. No bounces.

well I used your name at punbb.org and it rejected it. I will try again.

rejected again.

Could you paste the whole bounce message?

Actual return message:

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

Delivery to the following recipients failed.

smartys@punbb.org

message headers.

X-Message-Info: JGTYoYF78jEHjJx36Oi8+Z3TmmkSEdPtWvQP47sSZYmyVDNftcFVjIkkVChcI7Z2tX38IqqsyOk=
Received: from tomts26-srv.bellnexxia.net ([209.226.175.189]) by bay0-pamc1-f3.bay0.hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC(6.0.3790.2444);
     Fri, 23 Nov 2007 16:40:05 -0800
Received: from toip42.srvr.bell.ca ([67.69.240.43])
          by tomts26-srv.bellnexxia.net
          (InterMail vM.5.01.06.13 201-253-122-130-113-20050324) with ESMTP
          id <20071124004004.IAMA1657.tomts26-srv.bellnexxia.net@toip42.srvr.bell.ca>
          for <shedrock@sympatico.ca>; Fri, 23 Nov 2007 19:40:04 -0500
Received: from toip19.srvr.bell.ca ([67.69.240.21])
  by toip42.srvr.bell.ca with ESMTP; 23 Nov 2007 19:40:02 -0500
Received: from bay0-omc2-s19.bay0.hotmail.com ([65.54.246.155])
  by toip19.srvr.bell.ca with ESMTP; 23 Nov 2007 19:40:02 -0500
To: shedrock@sympatico.ca
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 16:40:01 -0800
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/report; report-type=delivery-status;
    boundary="9B095B5ADSN=_01C82C967268DA90000C16A4bay0?omc2?s19.ba"
X-DSNContext: 7ce717b1 - 1196 - 00000002 - 00000000
Message-ID: <hh6nB2J4X0005a4b7@bay0-omc2-s19.bay0.hotmail.com>
Subject: Delivery Status Notification (Failure)
Return-Path: <>
X-OriginalArrivalTime: 24 Nov 2007 00:40:05.0362 (UTC) FILETIME=[8E795D20:01C82E32]

I don't know what to tell you: I just created a Hotmail account and I was able to send myself an email with no issue.

I'll try it on MSN via IE. Let me know if you receive it.

sent from hotmail and gmail with no problems

Sorry. Unactive due to personal life.

hmm..I am using Outlook and I have no issues with sending mail to anyone else..Well, I'll wait to see if he received the last one via MSN

Got it and replied

ok, thanks.

Could this be the reason why my site does not validate? I am no expert. I am just wondering.

Unable to check for upgrade since 'allow_url_fopen' is disabled on this system.