Topic: what is the difference in a portal and cms?

What is the difference in a portal and cms?

can someone define this?

It seem they sorta do the same thing..

Q

My stuff or my style might sux, but atleast I'm willing to help when I can.
Don't be stupid and help ! We are the stupid one's !!!

Re: what is the difference in a portal and cms?

The essential thing about a cms is that it permits content and possibly design to be changed and updated by the site owner as opposed to a static site where the designer probably has to be called in to do the updates. Any kind of site can be driven by a cms.

A portal doesn't have to be a cms. I've never quite understood why some sites are called portals and others not. The essential feature of a portal is probably that the content updates to reflect content on internal pages or even other web sites e.g. latest forum posts etc. That doesn't mean it has to be cms driven though or even dynamic. If you had nothing better to do with your time you could have a static portal manually updated.

I've always thought of a portal as one page, dynamically generated or static, that is literally a link to all the important aspects, (or parts which the site owner considers important), of the site, as well as providing at a glance info on those sections. As the name implies, a portal to the site. big_smile The problem is that these days the term gets used for just about everything.

A C.M.S is exactly what the term infers. A content management system.

They really aren't comparable, it's like asking the difference between a search engine and a discussion forum. A CMS is a software program designed to help you manage a site; a portal is a type of website or webpage page that directs you to various other websites or pages, kind of in a hierarchy.

ok i got it. but can we not manage a portal as we do a cms?

example megapun, frontpage mod system.

seem everyone wants to design a portal or a c.m.s.
with or for the use of punbb. why not take the pun mods and develop them to the point where they work and start on the next one. so many things get started and never finished.

Q

Not sure what you are meaning?

Mattf, me neither..haha

just that it seem a portal mod is designed for punbb ever day. and it seem to act like a cms.

Q

quaker wrote:

Mattf, me neither..haha

just that it seem a portal mod is designed for punbb ever day. and it seem to act like a cms.

Q

I do believe you're missing the point of the portal/C.M.S bit. smile A portal, in itself, is nothing more than a single page as such, which concentrates multiple areas of interest from around the site into that one place, i.e: the index page. The C.M.S, however, is the site as a whole. There is no such thing as a complete PunBB C.M.S. Every mod added to a Pun install creates a different variant. A complete C.M.S, to word it as such, doesn't exist. Each forum is generally adapted, via mods, to each sites requirements.

A CMS is a Content Management System; it's a system that allows you to manage content smile

A Portal... it's more gray... more along the way the old Yahoo was, some kind of page collection to access other resources.

That's the theory. In real life, a CMS is supposed to be more flexible, allowing you to create the website you want and need; while a portal is less flexible, you can enter the content you want but the content type and page layout are locked.

Textpattern would be a good example of a CMS, while Nuke is probably a good (as in: bad) example of a portal.

ok i understand now. thanks for everyones input on this topic...

Q