Topic: IP question

Do all of the computers in my companies' building connect to the net with 1 IP or do all the terminals have their own IP?  The IP on my machine in my network connection says 10.40.x.x... Isn't that a local/private number?

The reason I ask is I'm setting up an INTRANET for my company and I'd like to use a hosted site(as oposed to setting up a local machine) and set it so ONLY CERTAIN IPs get access to the site. Setting up 70+ restrictions would suck. If I only had to allow access to one IP and deny all others that would make life much easier.

I asked my IT guy but he goes on for too long and doesn't really answer my question. My wife tells me it's like telling me how to build the clock when all I want to know is what time it is.

~James
FluxBB - Less is more

Re: IP question

Yes, you all have one IP, unless your internet traffic is channeled over multiple connections.

3 (edited by Dr.Jeckyl 2008-01-03 01:08)

elbekko wrote:

Yes, you all have one IP, unless your internet traffic is channeled over multiple connections.

Well all I know is we connect to a hub/server(local) then to the world, not directly to the net. In fact I think we connect to our parent companies' network THEN to the net. Unless I heard my IT guy's description wrong. Could be possible since I glazed over about 1 minute into our conversation.

~James
FluxBB - Less is more

All terminals will have their own local IP (10.40.x.x as you mentioned is indeed a local IP). They will be routed through a gateway (hub/server), which will then route the traffic into the internet (via your ISP). It is possible it could be routed through various connections to balance load, though most likely it will just go through one, meaning 1 external IP address.

5 (edited by quaker 2008-01-03 03:37)

GOOGLE >>> what is my ip? from work!!
they have a vpn setup from one building to another.
easiest thing would be setup localhost and have everyone inside hit the portal.
for remote functions i would look at the router to forward the port to that machine
a link off the main site. maybe mask the ip so that it would look like cnn.com/portal etc.

do they host there own website? then it would be a simple task..

Q

My stuff or my style might sux, but atleast I'm willing to help when I can.
Don't be stupid and help ! We are the stupid one's !!!

We have a local intranet now, it's IIS and an old NT 4.0 machine with all static html/asp pages running with an access back end. I don't want to hassle with it. I also don't want to give our IT guys any reason to say "It can't be done." or "We don't have the resources to do what James is suggesting." to our bosses who are pretty computer stupid. Besides, they have much bigger issues to work out right now and this project would be just a distraction or put on the back burner indefinitely. Truth is, they're friggin lazy and get away with it because they spit jargin at the head guys to cover up the fact they don't know shit. EXAMPLE: When I suggested we host it ourselves, the head IT guy told me that "We're a M$ shop and all the software you're suggesting is PHP/MySQL based which is run on Linux which we don't use." I couldn't convince him otherwise to save my life. So I said "Fine... I'll build it. You deal with MY boss when I'm done."

*sigh*
[/rant]

~James
FluxBB - Less is more