Re: I get this error message, any ideas how to fix it

No, click on your profile. There's an administration option on the side there (not the top of the page).

nothing there. kinda strange. i tried to find something in the mysql under viewforums.php and i put in the username of the moderators. under that section. i save it. and nothing worked. must be a boo boo! lol

Could you take a screenshot and post it?

http://queerbuddy.com/forums.jpg

here is what i see lol!

You're still clicking on the wrong link, please read my instructions wink
However, if that's really 1.0.1, I can't support it since it's two major versions out of date and I've never run it before. I don't know if the layout changed between 1.0 and 1.1 (although it might not have), which would be contributing to you clicking the wrong link consistantly wink

where is this link. because i get to that administration page by going to admin_index.php, if there is a page to go too. those are the options i have that you see. if i upgrade to the new version do i just upload the folder to the forums files i have now and it overrides it. smile

http://punbb.org/docs/install.html

Upgrading from 1.0

In order to upgrade from PunBB 1.0.* to 1.2.16, you must first update your current installation to 1.1. Download PunBB 1.1 from the PunBB.org downloads page and follow the upgrade instructions in the included install.html.

Upgrading from 1.1

In order to upgrade from PunBB 1.1.* to 1.2.16, you must first update your current installation to 1.2. Download PunBB 1.2 from the PunBB.org downloads page and follow the upgrade instructions in the included install.html.

And the administration page I'm talking about, the one that you click a link on the sidebar (not the top!) to get to is profile.php?section=admin&id=#, where # is the user ID.

when i go to that link i get

Bad request. The link you followed is incorrect or outdated.

Go back.

Just for you, I downloaded 1.0.1 tongue
I'll take a look at the code and see what I find.

Aha, so 1.0.1 had no sections!
Look at the bottom of the page when viewing a profile. You should be able to change a person's status. You should also be able to see the list of forums to set people as moderator in.
And, looking at the code, the column you need to edit to give yourself admin powers is status and the value should be 2 (since it was < 1 for Members, 1 for Moderators, 2 for Administrators).

I am a 2. because when i make a post it shows im an administrator.

OK, what about the rest of my post? wink

im working on it

i can change a persons status when i look up the user. but for some reason i cant find the ability to add that person to moderate the forum. like im an administrator but there is no other options to add my name to the forums. smile

Because it only shows up for moderators (I love reading this code) wink
My suggestion would be to upgrade and go from there.

haha. i just figured that out lol