1 (edited by Peter 2007-10-14 19:20)

Topic: Basic Mysql update script?

I'm trying to create a myaccount.php file to let users (members in my heavily customized PunBB) update their personal information.

I don't know PHP and can't get this to work:

if (empty($_POST['cmdUpdate']))
{
$sql = "UPDATE members SET firstname='$txtfirstname', surname='$txtsurname' WHERE id = '.$pun_user['id']'";
$result = mysql_query($sql) or die("SQL Update failed");
}

$result = $db->query('SELECT * FROM members WHERE id = '.$pun_user['id']) or error('Unable to fetch user data', __FILE__, __LINE__, $db->error());
$row = $db->fetch_assoc($result);

?>

<form method="post" action="<?php echo $PHP_SELF;?>">
<p>First Name:<input type="text" name="txtfirstname" size="30" value="<? echo $row['firstname']; ?>" />
<p>Last name:<input type="text" name="txtsurname" size="30" value="<? echo $row['surname']; ?>" />
<p><input type="Submit" value="Update" name="cmdUpdate" />
</form>

I keep getting Syntax errors for this part: "if (empty ... Update failed");}". There's lots of regular punbb above this code and the rest works, so ignore those issues.

Any suggestions? If I can get some basic principles to work I should be able to figure out the rest.

And please don't tell me I should just use profile.php....

Re: Basic Mysql update script?

Just use profile.php. big_smile

Try altering that $sql line to:

$sql = 'UPDATE members SET firstname='.$txtfirstname.', surname='.$txtsurname.' WHERE id = '.$pun_user['id'];

Also, are you setting the vars correctly? i.e:

$txtfirstname = '\''.$db->escape($_POST['txtfirstname']).'\'';
$txtsurname = '\''.$db->escape($_POST['txtsurname']).'\'';

(I believe that's the correct syntax). smile

4 (edited by Peter 2007-10-15 16:22)

Excellent. Thanks MattF!

The syntax errors disappear.

I had to put a ! back into this line:

if (!empty($_POST['cmdUpdate']))

And yes, I had to add those vars settings as well.

It now works!

Still have a lot of puzzle work to do, to get user friendly messages - update succesful! - and integrate parts from profile.php etc. but this is a major basic principle that will make the rest a lot easier.

smile Thanks again!

You're welcome. smile

Might I also suggest you stop using short tags and use the full <?php tag? That shorthand may bite you in the backside one day. big_smile

I tried this but I just keeping getting error, unable to fetch user data...

That script above is only part of an overall setup. As it is above, it wouldn't work within PunBB as is.

MattF wrote:

That script above is only part of an overall setup. As it is above, it wouldn't work within PunBB as is.

ok, I have been searching a lot, what do I have to add, the actual connection part or is that defined in a page already?

What exactly are you wanting to do?

I was justing making a game, and making a page for updating your stuff and buying troops, just wanted to use punbb framework for it