Re: An update

Intereesting because the freedownloadmanager.org site also is(was?) geting flagged red by McAfee's SiteAdvisor. Same folks then as giveawayoftheday.com.

NyteOwl wrote:

Intereesting because the freedownloadmanager.org site also is(was?) geting flagged red by McAfee's SiteAdvisor. Same folks then as giveawayoftheday.com.

And that's another issue we noticed and brought up beforehand tongue
Read the comments for freedownloadmanager.com. Also, try viewing some of the "red" files and looking at the "download publisher url." It's a site for people to upload shareware, and some people upload malware. They have software in place to detect and deal with malware and from everything I can see, it's working: if you try and go to those URLs, you can't access the malware through their site. And giveawayoftheday comes up green for me.

teh giveaway was just a comment that it was the same folks. I see your point. Just the red flagging raised some concerns - especially from a company that appears to have no other presence that comes up and is (though it shouldn't be a concern) from a relatively obscure part of the world smile

NyteOwl wrote:

teh giveaway was just a comment that it was the same folks. I see your point. Just the red flagging raised some concerns - especially from a company that appears to have no other presence that comes up and is (though it shouldn't be a concern) from a relatively obscure part of the world smile

Oh, I completely understand: like I said, we bought up the same issues with them smile

seleterresis6 wrote:

Rickard, I'm sorry if this question has been answered anywhere else (I couldn't find the answer though), but would you release security patches for the 1.2.x versions after 1.3 is released? It seems that I won't need the functionality of 1.3 and it would be too hard to upgrade to 1.3 for me (a lot of self-written code, many changes to CSS etc).

It is my intention to continue supporting 1.2 for some time after the release of 1.3. There won't be any feature additions to 1.2, but we will at the very least release fixes for more serious security problems.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Is there any chance of a beta in the near future?

When it's ready wink
That is, unfortunately, the best estimate I can give you tongue

Well, I'm looking forward to 1.3. smile

Hmmm.

It is my intention to continue supporting 1.2 for some time after the release of 1.3. There won't be any feature additions to 1.2, but we will at the very least release fixes for more serious security problems.

This is awesome news - thank you so much. Moving to 1.3 is going to take us months, rewriting the template, probably importing messages, testing, securing, adding modules... I feel a bit relieved this won't have to be in a rush smile

110 (edited by chuyskywalker 2007-12-13 23:07)

Better get on it, others are looking pretty slick ;D

p.s. Rickard, I'm now living in Stockholm. Perhaps sometime when later when going outside doesn't cause hypothermia we'll pass ways smile

I'm surprised.  It might still be buggier than midsummer in the USA, but it does look impressive.  I agree, PunBB better step on it! wink

Well, it's a good thing PunBB isn't meant to compete with phpBB then! tongue

SMF - cause of it's licensing - is about to get run over by a truck:

CMS Software Integration: Joomla! Third Party Bridge with Joomla! auth plug-in

114 (edited by Meowmeow 2007-12-14 12:20)

I have to say, official Simplified Chinese buttons of phpBB3 are made by me. (Traditional Chinese buttons made by me aren't official now)

Welcome to my WoW guild site, the Eternal Reach.

You can also visit Chita, a site built by me, a feral paradise for feline animals.

what ?! my forum is deleted ?????

conan wrote:

what ?! my forum is deleted ?????

Your forum has notthing to do with this topic..

and punbb support forum DONT host sites, so we cant be responcible for your host.

Please go to your host support forum and post there .

Sorry. Unactive due to personal life.

I think its ok for the authors to do with the code what they think is the best, but I also think that when a FOSS project sells its copyright, there is room for the current copyright owner to start asking for development that will never go to the free project.

I know that development in punbb will never stop, but I'm afraid that in the coming months more and more energy will go to the closed source, because it is pay for.

I choosed punbb over phpbb after phpbb had a bad security issue, and because phpbb3 was too long in the future. Now phpbb3 is here, so only time will tell is phpbb3 gets as secure as punbb and if punbb3 take ever more to come to light.
All I can do is wait, talk good of punbb and wait a little more, then review a forum migration or stay in punbb3.

Also, having analytics and adsense in punbb.org should be a must.

BTW, many thanks for the work done so far in 1.2.x, I really appreciate it

http://tinymailto.com/oliversl <-- my email after a captcha

oliversl wrote:

I think its ok for the authors to do with the code what they think is the best, but I also think that when a FOSS project sells its copyright, there is room for the current copyright owner to start asking for development that will never go to the free project.

I know that development in punbb will never stop, but I'm afraid that in the coming months more and more energy will go to the closed source, because it is pay for.

Whose energy, certainly not mine, this is just a hobby. I for one wouldn't be in the least bit interested in working on a closed source version of PunBB.

oliversl wrote:

Also, having analytics and adsense in punbb.org should be a must.

A personal preference/wish, not a must. What one classes as necessary, others necessarily do not, and those most definitely are not necessities.

Integrating any stats into PunBB is a very simple 1 file edit in it's CURRENT form. I don't see any stat feature other than what's already there(stuff in the footer of a default board). Just about the same for Adsense I believe.

~James
FluxBB - Less is more

Rickard wrote:

Also, please note that I have no intentions of ever making any money off PunBB.

(from http://punbb.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=2576)

Seems like "ever" only lasted for 4 years.

dentarg wrote:
Rickard wrote:

This as your first post gives me the impression that you're trolling and I shouldn't bother responding. But I'm tired and slightly annoyed by trolls in general, so you get a response wink
You're right. Rickard did say 4 years ago that his intent was not to make money off of PunBB but to develop it and share it with the world. The statement was just as true then as it is now. If Rickard really wanted to make money off of PunBB, he wouldn't have sold the rights to the code: he would have forked the code and only released a for-pay version (which he has in this topic said he will not do). He is not trying to harm members of this community (some of whom have made money off of PunBB in one way or another). He hasn't taken his money and run off to an island in the Caribbean: he's still working on the code and releasing it for free so that you have the ability to post here and complain. wink
If you're objecting to the fact that he made some money after having worked on PunBB for 4 years supported only by donations, then please go ahead and explain to me what's wrong with that. I know if I had worked on a project for 4 years and was approached with an offer that I thought was good for the project as well as for me, I would take it.

As I and others have said numerous times, changing the owner of the copyright does not change the license PunBB is under. The code currently under the GPL will remain under the GPL in perpetuity. Developers have affirmed multiple times that they will not work on a closed source PunBB. I'm not sure how much more we can say to assuage people.

Smartys wrote:
dentarg wrote:
Rickard wrote:

This as your first post gives me the impression that you're trolling and I shouldn't bother responding. But I'm tired and slightly annoyed by trolls in general, so you get a response wink
You're right. Rickard did say 4 years ago that his intent was not to make money off of PunBB but to develop it and share it with the world. The statement was just as true then as it is now. If Rickard really wanted to make money off of PunBB, he wouldn't have sold the rights to the code: he would have forked the code and only released a for-pay version (which he has in this topic said he will not do). He is not trying to harm members of this community (some of whom have made money off of PunBB in one way or another). He hasn't taken his money and run off to an island in the Caribbean: he's still working on the code and releasing it for free so that you have the ability to post here and complain. wink
If you're objecting to the fact that he made some money after having worked on PunBB for 4 years supported only by donations, then please go ahead and explain to me what's wrong with that. I know if I had worked on a project for 4 years and was approached with an offer that I thought was good for the project as well as for me, I would take it.

As I and others have said numerous times, changing the owner of the copyright does not change the license PunBB is under. The code currently under the GPL will remain under the GPL in perpetuity. Developers have affirmed multiple times that they will not work on a closed source PunBB. I'm not sure how much more we can say to assuage people.

Yeah, I'm trolling a little bit. :-)

There's nothing wrong on making money from your code.
I just thought it was kinda ironic that I found that post with that quote, just after I had read this news post. Had to point it out. :-)

Thank you for replying.

good imformation, thank you

Hello,thanks for this update.