Topic: Install 1.2.16 on a UTF8 DB

Hello,

Trying on install 1.2.16 on an exsisting UTF8 database I get:

An error occured on line 1269 in file c:\documents and settings\mypathexample\webdev\punbb\install.php.

PunBB reported: Unable to create indexes. Please check your configuration and try again.

Database reported: Specified key was too long; max key length is 255 bytes (Errno: 1071)

I read somewhere in the forums that if I change utf8 to latin it will work, but is there a better solution?

Thanks.

Re: Install 1.2.16 on a UTF8 DB

I would suggest changing to latin1 and then converting when 1.3 comes.
However, I do find it odd that that error is happening. I assume that this is the topic you referenced earlier?

I managed to find this bug:
http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=10566

Smartys wrote:

I would suggest changing to latin1 and then converting when 1.3 comes.

Yerk... another several years of latin1, that's ugly...

And 1.2 works (some little quirks here and there, nothing serious or data integrity shattering) with utf-8; every PunBB I set-up is configured that way.

Several years? I hope not tongue

So several days smile weeks smile months sad ...

Smartys wrote:

Several years? I hope not tongue

Do you have a hat? roll

If it takes more than a year for a beta? I would eat more than a hat tongue
I've been a little busy with RL stuff recently, which has kept me from coding as much as I wanted to. However, that should be ending shortly, which means more active coding from me. Development is moving along smoothly and you can get a sense of where we are by looking at the tickets left to do and at the timeline of commits. We're getting there smile

Smartys wrote:

If it takes more than a year for a beta? I would eat more than a hat tongue

Noted.

tongue

Hi,

I have the same problem, I can't install punBB on my server. I have a dedicted server @ dedibox.com
I can choose the format (utf8, latin1, etc..) if I import a .SQL file, but how can I choose latin1 for everything ? I only have a phpmyadmin access...
So how can I install punBB on my server ?

Sorry for my very bad english hmm

(Jérémie si tu as la solution (j'ai vu à ton prénom et ta signature que tu étais français) je veux bien de l'aide big_smile)

Thank's / Merci smile

Smartys wrote:

...you can get a sense of where we are by looking at the tickets left to do and at the timeline of commits.

Is that the tickets left? I am feeling stupid but I don't see how much of them is left...

FluxBB - v1.4.8

lie2815 wrote:
Smartys wrote:

...you can get a sense of where we are by looking at the tickets left to do and at the timeline of commits.

Is that the tickets left? I am feeling stupid but I don't see how much of them is left...

Yes: just count them wink

yeah but they have been there forever. I mean how much does it take for each of them to be finished? I don't know how far you are with them.

FluxBB - v1.4.8

Oh: that I can't really help you with I'm afraid wink

thats ok thanks tho

FluxBB - v1.4.8

Don't forget the future tickets, that will be opened at the beta stage roll

thanks roll

FluxBB - v1.4.8

18 (edited by LHT 2008-02-22 07:36)

any solution for this yet besides changing to latin? i can't switch my whole db to latin. I've installed 1.3 and works fine but it's a beta and no language packs are working.
it seems it creates the tables while installing so is the forum basically installed and would work when i just change the tables to latin?or do i need to create anything else?

LHT: It's a little more complicated than that. You have to edit the dblayer file for MySQL to add SET NAMES UTF8 and you need to edit the language file to serve up stuff in UTF-8. If you do that and change the database collation from the start, I think you're fine.