Topic: Support for multiple group membership

I have been looking around and I realized that for a very big amount of stuff I do online with forums(punbb only) I have things happen to where I need people to be in multiple usergroups. An example would be that I on the side run a gaming community that offers a clan aspect to the community for a few different games. This emans there are boards for each different clan and I only want the people in that clan to be able to see/post in there. But another great thing about this community is you can be in as many of these clans you want if you play each of the different games. Well when I do this if they are currently in say a counter-strike: source clan usergroup and they now want to be in the day of defeat clan as well I cant jsut give that 1 person access to both boards as a clan member. So thats why it would be amazing to allow a feature to let people in multiple groups if set by the administration. That was just a really good example for a board I have but there are other situations but this was the easiest to explain why this would be awesome.

Re: Support for multiple group membership

If I understand you correctly, just make a group for those users and give that group access to the required sections.

http://punbb.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=15213
I also change the title of the topic to be more descriptive wink
And yes, it will be an extension for 1.3 if I have to write it myself wink

Matt: He means putting a user in multiple groups rather than creating a group for every permutation of permissions.

Smartys wrote:

Matt: He means putting a user in multiple groups rather than creating a group for every permutation of permissions.

Ah, right. I thought I might have misunderstood the intention. smile

np and cool thanks.

Yeah i ment likes ay you got 7 different clans  for 7 different games and you got 1 guy whos in 2 of them well ok i could make a group for people that are in those 2 things then but they what if someone else is in 2 different ones or if nother person is in 4 of them . Thats what i ment and yup smarty got it right so thanks for the feedback.

the cool feature just gotta some meaning of web 2.0

huh?

Yes, i would like to have this feature too.

I would like to disable editing of posts in some of the forums, but the ability to edit post could only be set under user group, but not the forum itself. While a user can only be in a group, this make it impossible to do what i want.

I am still stuck in the situation now. I would appreciate if there is a quick although temporary way (e.g. change some code in the script file) to have it function the way i want.

That's not something that multiple group membership can solve. That's a new forum level permission.

Smartys wrote:

That's not something that multiple group membership can solve. That's a new forum level permission.

Hmm.. let's say i restrict the access of Forum A to only User Group A, while User Group A has been set to no rights to edit post. Then if Member A is under both User Group A and User Group B (multiple group), when he is in other forums, he can do all the standard things but if he is in Forum A, he cannot edit post. Not?

No. At least not in the multiple group membership scheme I envision. wink
Doing that would be possible, but extremely complex: it would involve getting the data for all the groups the user is a part of, storing the data somewhere it's accessible, changing all the permissions queries so that they join all of the groups the user is a part of, and then determining which group gives them read permissions and applying the rules of that group to the situation. What would happen if two groups gave read permission over the same forum? wink
The system doesn't have to be that complex. It can simply be: the user is in group X and group Y. The user's powers can be the union of the group permissions. That would mean that editing a post would apply to all forums the user can read.

Smartys, thank you for your explanation. So, i should check out mods for forum permission then.