Topic: completely new user

I am totally new to PHP MySQL, and the only programming background I have is a basic foundation in HTML and CSS. I would like to place a message board on my personal web site, and, in the process, learn a little PHP. I looked at some CGI message boards and most of them contained information about reconfigurations to fit one's web site, but I did not see any reconfiguration reccommendations with the PunBB. Certainly it can't be as easy as install and go....can it? Are you able to help me, or do I need to accept the fact that I am in over my head?

thanks

Re: completely new user

It is pretty simple to put on a website and run it. You just need a privder with PHP and MySQL. In MySQL with phpMyadmin (if the provider provide it) you can create databases, tables in the database. The other thing ou need is your base URL what is not too hard to figure. Follow the instuctions in the readme file and there will be no problem to use it.

Thanks,
Yeah, my provider is running PHP version 4.3.3 and MySQL. By "base URL" i assume you are talking about http://www.myurl.com? correct? Excellent!
Can anybody recommend a good PHP book for beginners like myself?
Thanks again,

Yep your base URL is just like that.

Well. I started to learn some PHP by finding some pages that have tutorials. I didn't used any books. So I don't know what book is a good book. Maybe the others can help you with that.

@Redhook: php is pretty simple to understand, most books deal halfway with the installation process, and most also deal with MySQL installation, which is not that bad if you don't have any experience at all with them.

Most important places are www.php.net (look for the manual) and www.mysql.net (idem), cause when you've got a doubt you'll go there to see.

Ok, the book I learnt from was from sitepoint, something like 'build your own website applications using mysql and php'. But I don't think it's incredibly better than anything else you'll find around. Hell, if you look around, you'll even find some free books floating around. Take whatever you're comfortable with. And then play a lot with it.
Since you already have a project in mind, that helps.

Marc

A good book is the PHP bible. I have the Dutch version, and it's very good.

basalphenaar wrote:

yeah same here smile

jochem wrote:
basalphenaar wrote:

yeah same here smile

tongue