1 (edited by Rickard 2008-01-30 21:16)

Topic: PunBB 1.3 Beta

I just exported, zipped and uploaded revision 1400 of the 1.3 tree to the download folder. That's right, ladies and gentlemen, it's time for bug crunching! Download PunBB 1.3 Beta.

Here are a few notes of interest to all potential beta testers:

1. This is a beta (and not in the Google sense of the word), so don't expect everything to work perfectly. There are bugs. Don't replace your production server install with this just yet.

2. The documentation is a bit lacking at the moment (which in turn is a bit of an understatement :D). An overhauled version of the 1.2 documentation is in the pipeline. Included in this, among other things, is a short manual aimed at extension developers.

3. Speaking of extensions, please dig into and tinker with the extension system. We appreciate any comments, thoughts or ideas you have on the subject. In particular, we are interested in requests for new hooks. We are aware that, even though the code currently contains a great number of hooks, there is need for more.

4. Another area of interest is the greatly improved update script. In PunBB 1.3, we are aiming for full UTF-8 compatibility. In order to accommodate this, the update script now does character set conversion to make sure as much as possible of existing content can be transferred over into valid UTF-8. This process is quite complex and the number of variations of characters sets out there is more or less infinite. Please put the update script through its paces. In order to realize proper UTF-8 support, we had to bump the MySQL requirement to 4.1.2. Hopefully, this shouldn't affect too many of you.

5. As you might have realized, virtually every line of code and markup has been affected by the move to 1.3. What this means is that existing language packs are useless in 1.3. When the time comes for 1.3 final, it would be great to have a few additional languages available for download on the website. We would however appreciate if you could give us a few more days to tidy up some of the language files before you start. The new admin language file in particular, is a mess at the moment.

I think that about covers it for now. Please try to keep all discussions relating to the beta in the new 1.3 Beta talk.

Enjoy!

Edit: I've uploaded a zip file containing some simple example extensions for you to play with. Nothing fancy, but at least, you'll have something to base your own extensions on.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Re: PunBB 1.3 Beta

Hooray!

As Rickard said, please keep in mind that this is a beta! Before running the database update tool (assuming you're trying to test upgrading a real database, because you shouldn't be using this on a production site yet), make sure you have a working backup of the forum just in case something bad does happen.

Yayyy !!!
i share with birthday with 1.3 beta big_smile
and windows vista haah

Mark wrote:

and windows vista haah

Vista was released on this day? Oh oh!

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Rickard wrote:
Mark wrote:

and windows vista haah

Vista was released on this day? Oh oh!

Not in my timezone! In the US it's still the 29th tongue

7 (edited by Mark 2008-01-30 00:58)

ahh thats cause your american, your back to front ^_^
im sure vista is 30th

One more note: for all you budding extension developers out there, there will be sample extensions released tomorrow, once Rickard gets some well deserved sleep tongue

Rickard wrote:

What this means is that existing language packs are useless in 1.3. When the time comes for 1.3 final, it would be great to have a few additional languages available for download on the website. We would however appreciate if you could give us a few more days to tidy up some of the language files before you start. The new admin language file in particular, is a mess at the moment.

Feel free to tell us when the English language file is final, so we can start the translation to have them ready before 1.3 final smile

Hope I can ask this question in here. I turned on fancy URL's but I get 404 errors. I also copied the .htaccess file in the root folder.

BETA!

Smartys wrote:

One more note: for all you budding extension developers out there, there will be sample extensions released tomorrow, once Rickard gets some well deserved sleep tongue

big_smile

bingiman: 1.3 beta talk is a better place for it wink
You need to edit the .htaccess file if your forum isn't at the bottom of the site (eg: if your forum is at punbb.org/forums rather than at punbb.org

13 (edited by Dr.Jeckyl 2008-01-30 04:41)

YAY!

I'll prepare for recording videos. big_smile

~James
FluxBB - Less is more

I'm not amazed because I've tried many times for many months. tongue

Welcome to my WoW guild site, the Eternal Reach.

You can also visit Chita, a site built by me, a feral paradise for feline animals.

Yay!

Hunting season is upon us.... Hunt them bugs people!

Whee big_smile

Something I forgot to mention is that currently, we're running the old BBCode parser. We have two new parsers that we are working on in-house. However, due to a nasty bug in the PCRE library (regex), we had to postpone the inclusion of a new parser. We will continue to work on it and get it ready for primetime.

Woot!
Big day!

I'll wait until hcgtv updates the source in phpxref.com so i can dig through the hook and extension systems.

mmmm... cant wait for that extension developer manual.

I would suggest that the hook sugestion thread included a list of current hooks location.

Congrats guys. Thank you for developing such great open source software.
I will also try to contribute witha translation to portuguese, but i think i'll wait until things get more stable, final release maybe.

pedrotuga wrote:

I would suggest that the hook suggestion thread included a list of current hooks location.

This would be the all source codes in one post :)

Carpe diem

Wewt, thought this day would never come smile

pedrotuga wrote:

I would suggest that the hook sugestion thread included a list of current hooks location.

That would be an 818 lines long list big_smile

pedrotuga wrote:

I use this script with TextMate to view a list of hooks in the current file:

text=$(/usr/bin/grep --line-number --only-matching "\$hook = get_hook('[^']*'" | /usr/bin/sed -e 's/\$hook = get_hook(/ /g')
if [[ -z $text ]]; then
    text='There are no extension hooks in this file.'
fi
echo "<pre>$text</pre>"

Just updated the topic post with a link to some example extensions.

In case anyone is interested, we have another sample extension. It allows for localized URLs based on the language.
http://punbb.org/download/extensions/lo … chemes.zip

Great with some news about 1.3 even if it is the beta vers. at last.

Darth Vader will chase you away with his lightsaber!
GalacticEmpire.se Forum