Topic: Search min characters

Search: if I start a search for ab* for example, I get the error ?You have to enter at least one keyword and/or an author to search for?, while abc* is fine. I'm wild guessing this has something to do with the min-word size of MySQL index, but if so the error is wrong. On the other hand, searching "abc* -de*" does not trigger an error, and does work the way it's suppose to.

Search: if I search no keyword but author a*, I got an ?You have to enter at least one keyword and/or an author to search for.? error. If I search a keyword, and the author a*, it return me every author (a* is not taken into account), however ab* is.

Re: Search min characters

There's a 2 character minimum (excluding wildcards) for author (since the smallest username is 2 letters), so your second example isn't a bug. However, you are right that we should be letting MySQL deal with the minimum keyword length in your first example.

And if I want to parse by all author starting with the letter a, how could I without "a*"? wink

Also, it doesn't trigger an error, it's a silent one.

Jérémie wrote:

And if I want to parse by all author starting with the letter a, how could I without "a*"? wink

You can't, that's the point: we enforce a minimum length. This behavior is no different than 1.2. smile

Jérémie wrote:

Also, it doesn't trigger an error, it's a silent one.

Fair point wink

5 (edited by Jérémie 2008-01-30 02:02)

Smartys wrote:

You can't, that's the point: we enforce a minimum length.

For the username registrationyup, but I don't see why the username *search* has anything to do with the username minimal length?

6 (edited by Smartys 2008-01-30 02:06)

Jérémie wrote:
Smartys wrote:

You can't, that's the point: we enforce a minimum length.

For the username registrationyup, but I don't see why the username *search* has anything to do with the username minimal length?

Because you don't particularly want a query that looks through 100,000+ posts looking for the ones where the poster starts with A. And then B. And then C. And then 5. That's called a DOS attack. wink

Uh ok, if you *have* to put it this way wink