Topic: email registration doesn't work

I recently installed punbb for a client and I got it working. Well, sort of.

The problem is that when users register no email is sent out with the password. I read other posts that were similar to this but people seemed to have figured it out or the solution that was there didn't fix my problem. I need help. This is very frustrating. Honestly, if it were up to me I wouldn't be using this application for forums. It has been a nightmare from the start.

Thanks

Re: email registration doesn't work

Ouch.

How are you sending emails? Via SMTP or via PHP's mail function? Do you have any other applications running that are sending mail?

Thanks for the quick reply. I appreciate that.

Well we tried the SMTP and that didn't work. But SMTP isn't needed to send out the emails right?

As far as other applications, I am not sure what the client has. What should I be looking for?

SMTP isn't required provided the server is set up properly. Some hosts require SMTP.
In terms of other applications: anything that sends email tongue

Ok, well I am not sure about the server either. I am the designer on this project. My programmer is MIA. So I am trying to deal with this.

Well, without more info other than "it doesn't work," I'm afraid I can't really help you. Mail setups vary widely and there's no way for me to know whether or not you need to use SMTP, or whether your server is on some blacklists, or whether you need to set up reverse dns, etc etc etc.

All I know is that when people register they don't receive an email with their password in it. I will try to find out more about the server.

Thanks

This is from the php.ini file. Not sure if this will help or not.

; For Win32 only.
SMTP = localhost
smtp_port = 25

; For Win32 only.
;sendmail_from = me@example.com

; For Unix only.  You may supply arguments as well (default: "sendmail -t -i").
sendmail_path = /usr/sbin/sendmail -t -i

I installed it locally on my machine and it works fine. I checked my php.ini file and the SMTP and the send mail for win32 is uncommented. However I think her server is unix so the Win32 sendmail wouldn't matter?

There is no Win32 sendmail. wink

Not sure what you mean by that. But I am referring to what I copied and pasted from the php.ini file.

Yes, I know. My point is that there is no sendmail binary for Windows computers, as far as I know. Windows PHP relies on SMTP to send mail.