1 (edited by Corp 2007-11-03 23:01)

Topic: What i want to see in upcoming versions!

1. The numbers should be displayed with "," not 14345 views but instead 14,345 views!
2. Make a "Back to top" link or button so you can go to the top fast!
3. Sub-forums
4. Nice statistics page at first admin entrance page!

Re: What i want to see in upcoming versions!

1. Me too
2. I've never really seen the point in those.
3. It will probably be an 'official' extension rather than a default feature.
4. Yeah, sounds good. More likely to be a plugin/extension.

sound like you could research php.net and see how to format numbers?

Q

My stuff or my style might sux, but atleast I'm willing to help when I can.
Don't be stupid and help ! We are the stupid one's !!!

Corp wrote:

1. The numbers should be displayed with "," not 14345 views but instead 14,345 views!
2. Make a "Back to top" link or button so you can go to the top fast!
3. Sub-forums
4. Nice statistics page at first admin entrance page!

1. I agree. number_format can accomplish this.
2. Redundant. See Home key.
3. Agree. A simple 'parent' column can accomplish this (null if top-level forum; parent's forum_id if otheriwse). As an added bonus this can also handle mutli-level forums.
4. Neutral.

orlandu63 wrote:

1. I agree. number_format can accomplish this.

The decimal point and thousands separator would need to be localized.

orlandu63 wrote:

3. Agree. A simple 'parent' column can accomplish this (null if top-level forum; parent's forum_id if otheriwse). As an added bonus this can also handle mutli-level forums.

Storing a parent doesn't do much unless you change how things are displayed too. wink Of course, that'll be worked out when someone writes an extension for it.

orlandu63 wrote:

2. Redundant. See Home key.

Not really. My hand is on the mouse, it'll cost an extra move.

I've analyzed several statistics reports, and people use it, a lot.
The longer the page is, the more they will use it.

My vision of the "Back to top" link:

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/5448/backtotopup4.th.png

If your hand is on the mouse, why not just go to the scrollbar? Or even better, get one with a scrollwheel.

You couldn't possible put it there anyway since thats where the post reply/new topic link goes.

Corp wrote:

That would require localization.

Easy enough. It's implemented in the function: http://be2.php.net/number_format

elbekko wrote:

If your hand is on the mouse, why not just go to the scrollbar? Or even better, get one with a scrollwheel.

Okay, please try to understand... I'd appreciate it, thanks.

It's all about giving users more choices. It's easier to click than scroll through long pages. Scrolling can be quite annoying, you know.

Paul wrote:

You couldn't possible put it there anyway since thats where the post reply/new topic link goes.

Sorry about that, I was watching PunDemo.org site and I wasn't logged in.

The link could be placed into path-bar, right-aligned:
in page header the bottom-link, in footer the top-link.

XMB forum has those... for example.

Taimar wrote:
elbekko wrote:

Okay, please try to understand... I'd appreciate it, thanks.

It's all about giving users more choices. It's easier to click than scroll through long pages. Scrolling can be quite annoying, you know.

:grin:

Rickard touched on this, in an oblique way, when I mentioned adding a 'back link' to a form error page.  I suggested it might be better to, but he rightly pointed out the browser back button.  This is a similar case, there is a back to top functionality already available so the 'back to top' link just replicates what is already available.

I'd suggest that if it doesn't get added in you just create your own theme and add it in there smile

Would I request it be added by default? I'm not sure, for accessibility it isn't needed, but it might add a bit of usability.

my mind is on a permanent tangent
byUsers forum

Rich Pedley wrote:

there is a back to top functionality already available

Did you mean the Home button on keyboards?
Most people don't know there's a button called Home, not to mention knowing its behaviour.

Or did you mean mouse-wheel/scrollbars? Not the same.

I still hope, it find its way to the final version. :)

Don't tell me you know someone who hasn't discovered the use of the Home key yet...

15 (edited by bingiman 2008-02-03 00:59)

Here is what I would like to see in some version down the road.

1 - To disallow new members from posting URL's in their post until they have posted a certain amount of post. Configurable by the administrator obviously. This in my opinion will reduce spam becuase some people just sign up so that they can post spam.

2 - bbcode buttons that are stock with punBB. It should also be configurable by the administrator and could be user level based, and by that I mean after a member has  posted sufficient post and/or belong to a specific group that is allowed to use them.

3 - Sub Forums in my opinion is a must have. It just makes sense to have them.

4 - A better user profile layout.

5 - Theme switcher somewhere else other than in the profile. 

6 - A Private Message system that comes with punBB. I guess that would be an extension.

That's all!
Bingiman

elbekko wrote:

Don't tell me you know someone who hasn't discovered the use of the Home key yet...

Oh, so that's what the home key does. big_smile

elbekko wrote:

It's an average dumbuser and, yes, I know them.

Don't tell me you know only advanced users with home-key-knowledge...

crop,

1. The number display format depends from country to country. For example, where I came from nobody really looks at 17,434 as seventeen thousand... It stands for seventeen 'point' ...
So I guess a goos solution would be give freedom to the admin to choose the display format, if this is not made yet.

2. Personally i think that will confuse the users more than it will help them. But that's my opinion. Anyway, I don't see a reason why this should come by default. Simply add it to your template if you really want.

3. Once again, i consider sub forums a huge mistake. It is a popular request though. Don't really know what to say about this one.

4. It doesn't make sense to have by default. A plugin should pop up whit that.

bingiman,

1. Absolutely. That would solve at least 95% of the spam problems. It's the most effective spam protection i know.

2. indeed.

3,4,5 - bahhh... punbb in not bloated software.

6. It needs database changes so i don't know about that. If it's not enabled by default i don't see how to implement it cleanly.

Taimar wrote:

Don't tell me you know only advanced users with home-key-knowledge...

I've never come across anyone who doesn't know what the home key does. Even my one-finger-typing grandfather knows what it does.

20 (edited by Taimar 2008-02-03 16:01)

elbekko wrote:

I've never come across anyone who doesn't know what the home key does. Even my one-finger-typing grandfather knows what it does.

Lucky you. :)

elbekko wrote:

I've never come across anyone who doesn't know what the home key does.

I do. But I'm not sure about the back to top link thing.