Topic: Extension Development Mini Primer

How does development of extensions work?

I mean, if it's in XML files, how does an author edit, overwrite, test new code, and continue on?
Does the extension have to be uninstalled & installed each time a change is made?
When there is an error in the script, does it give the line number of the eval error? Or just where the code was eval'ed?

I'm trying really hard to not prejudge having the code in XML files which get database loaded, my brain just sees a lot of troublesome issues around it that have all probably already been dealt with.

(I know the full docs about extensions are coming, but since the post asked us to play around with the system, some intro would be helpful. smile)

Re: Extension Development Mini Primer

You'd have to reinstall them on each change, yes, but it should be easy enough to write a script to delete it from the DB, delete the cache and reinstall it.
PunXS should solve all of that anyway.

PunXS is indeed one way of working with extensions. I'm currently putting all my spare time into releasing an alpha some time very soon.

However, PunXS won't be for everyone, it's .NET 2.0. Though works is being made on a web based extension editor. Not by me though so I can't tell you much about it.

You could probably run PunXS in Mono. I'll be happy to try it out tongue

What's the setup like for using PunXS? I recall seeing something a loong time ago, but I don't have any more info.

http://www.punxs.org/preview/?show=hook_editor

chuyskywalker wrote:

I mean, if it's in XML files, how does an author edit, overwrite, test new code, and continue on?
Does the extension have to be uninstalled & installed each time a change is made?

You can also write code in the PunBB files themselves, and then cut/paste into an XML file (or make/use a script that will accomplished the same thing).

guardian34 wrote:

You can also write code in the PunBB files themselves, and then cut/paste into an XML file (or make/use a script that will accomplished the same thing).

That appears to be exactly what PunXS does.

chuyskywalker wrote:

That appears to be exactly what PunXS does.

I won't be using .NET (or Mono?) though. smile

PunXS is utilizing winforms and a few customesed controllers that I don't know if other window api's currently can accomplish. Though I haven't done any reasearch. A future migration is pretty likely though since there seems to be quite a lot of interest for it.

As an alternative to PunXS, for those of you who won't be able to use it, there'll be an extension that allows you to edit hooks in place without reinstalling the extension all the time.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

Rickard wrote:

there'll be an extension that allows you to edit hooks in place without reinstalling the extension all the time.

Nice, that will be almost a required extension for developers of extensions!

my mind is on a permanent tangent
byUsers forum

I made a very-dirty-ugly-don't-use-it (tm) version of this extension for... fun?

https://adi.ing.uchile.cl/~mortega/punb … on_dev.zip tongue

Work with install/uninstall extension, but don't width enable/disable.

sorry for my english