1 (edited by Cailean 2004-03-01 20:23)

Topic: Managing Subscriptions...

I don't see an easy way for forum users to manage their subscriptions...  (other than going to each topic individually and clicking 'unsubscribe')

Would it be too difficult to add the subscriptions to the profile page with select/deselect boxes?

My original thought was an unsubscribe link in the e-mails but that seems too complicated... at least for individual subscriptions.... I think.

Find what you want...  Where you want it... www.truelocal.com

Re: Managing Subscriptions...

The subscription e-mails do contain an unsubscribe link.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

3 (edited by Simple Exploding Man 2004-03-01 23:35)

test...

- - -

I don't get the e-mail notification now, but found an older one. I guess he means a "unsuscribe all" would be helpful, while in the notification there is only an "unsubscribe from this thread" link.

He's right, I guess, sometimes you'd like to get rid of all of those unnecessary threads you subscribed to in a moment of alienation. We've all done that (cough, cough). And it may be done with one simple link (I hope) in the same e-mail. A "manager" in the profile section is a different business.

Yes, I see. However, adding an interface for "administrating" the topic subscriptions to the profile page will bloat it up quite a bit. You need to list the subscribed topics, you need checkboxes for selecting which topics to delete, you need a delete button, you need paging (if someone is subscribed to 300 topics you don't want to display them all on one page), etc. etc. I'm not sure the added functionality is worth the loss of "smallness" :D

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

I suppose it would have helped to actually look at a subscription email before posting... rookie mistake!! wink

The unsubscribe link in the email is sufficient for I was talking about, though an 'unsubscribe all topics' in the profile might be worthwhile.

While we are on the subject of subscriptions, is there a way to subscribe to a Forums so as to be notified of new topics? (Particularly useful for an 'Event Announcements' forum)

Thanks for taking the time...

Find what you want...  Where you want it... www.truelocal.com

Links are beautiful, everybody loves links, do it, do it :-D.

hmm ... a multi select list is imho possible to have, no matter number of subscriptions ... it's always the same size. Just unselect those that one doesn't want, and press submit ... voila ... wink

(although the 'rendering' of that could take some time if we're talking many subscriptions)

Nah, a manager would be mastodontically boring, but an "unsubscribe all" option should be easy to implement.

Cailean wrote:

While we are on the subject of subscriptions, is there a way to subscribe to a Forums so as to be notified of new topics?

Not at the time, no.

Frank H wrote:

hmm ... a multi select list is imho possible to have, no matter number of subscriptions ... it's always the same size. Just unselect those that one doesn't want, and press submit ... voila ... ;)

(although the 'rendering' of that could take some time if we're talking many subscriptions)

Exactly. That's no solution to the problem. "Hiding" parts of the page in markup doesn't make the page any smaller.

ok ... I though you meant the viewed size ... so it makes a 5 mile long page, not the actual filesize wink
but true, it does add up, and take time to generate...

11 (edited by Paul 2004-03-02 11:58)

A primitive solution but couldn't you just add a "Show subscribed" search. You could then jump from the search result page to a subscribed topic, unsubscribe and then jump back to the search results page. Not a true management system but at least you get a list of all subscribed topics as an aid to memory and navigation. If you couple this with an unsubscribe all option that should make life a little easier

Hmmm taking Paul's idea only a bit further, and to avoid excess of new code, a modified forum section page where displayed topics would be those subscribed, that's a "subscribed topics" section, that'll be individual for every user, but is fully integrated, and you can just view any topic and unsubscribe it.

But I really don't see the need for that, cause if the topic's dead, you won't get any emails, and if it's alive, you can unsubscribe directly.

A cure for compulsive subscribers could help the most acute cases, though smile

13 (edited by azh 2004-03-02 17:04)

Paul wrote:

A primitive solution but couldn't you just add a "Show subscribed" search. You could then jump from the search result page to a subscribed topic, unsubscribe and then jump back to the search results page. Not a true management system but at least you get a list of all subscribed topics as an aid to memory and navigation. If you couple this with an unsubscribe all option that should make life a little easier

wow, really good idea...
one field in profile, like "Show all posts"

14 (edited by Paul 2004-03-02 17:45)

azh wrote:
Paul wrote:

wow, really good idea...
one field in profile, like "Show all posts"

I was thinking more of an extra link "Show your subscribtions at the foot of the page after the "Show your posts" link. The unscribe all function could just be a button added to the search results page which only shows up when viewing suscriptions.

I don't need a subscribe feature at all.
The subscribe feature should've been left out, at least not a standard feature of punbb, if someone needed it someone could have written a mod for it wink but oh well tongue

16 (edited by Paul 2004-03-02 19:14)

I have to own up, I don't use subscriptions; I just like trying to come up with easy solutions for what to me are hypothetical problems (also known as stirring). In fact I don't use Avatars, smilies or signatures either. A case for PunBB-- maybe.

Paul: I kind of like that idea. However, I'm not sure adding the link to the page footer is such a good idea.

Paul: i use subscription like bookmarks for useful topics

Rickard wrote:

Paul: I kind of like that idea. However, I'm not sure adding the link to the page footer is such a good idea.

I don't suppose it would matter where the link went. The idea was basically to use the existing search functionality so the only extra code would be the query which generates the results. The other obvious place for it as azh suggested would be under the "Show all posts" item in the profile.

azh wrote:

Paul: i use subscription like bookmarks for useful topics

I never thought of doing that. If thats how people are using subscribtions then being able to produce a quick list showing all of them starts to look like a very useful feature.

Paul wrote:

I never thought of doing that.

;-) very very very useful feature...