Re: PunBB 1.3 Beta

Best news of the year smile

Goes to crunch..

Jérémie wrote:
Rickard wrote:

What this means is that existing language packs are useless in 1.3. When the time comes for 1.3 final, it would be great to have a few additional languages available for download on the website. We would however appreciate if you could give us a few more days to tidy up some of the language files before you start. The new admin language file in particular, is a mess at the moment.

Feel free to tell us when the English language file is final, so we can start the translation to have them ready before 1.3 final smile

yepp, i also want to finish the translation work ASAP, so please let us know when it is due

Wouldn't this qualify to be 2.0? tongue

Only if we were to completely rewrite PunBB from the ground up smile

Well I'm not sure I agree with a complete rewrite being required for a new version number, but Rickard did say this:

virtually every line of code and markup has been affected by the move to 1.3

31 (edited by MattF 2008-02-08 07:24)

ortzinator wrote:

Well I'm not sure I agree with a complete rewrite being required for a new version number, but Rickard did say this:

It makes no difference whether it's labelled 1.3 or 2.0. It's not a pissing contest with other forum softwares. Primary number changes are normally used for a total rewrite, philosophy change, when you run out of .* numbers, or when you want to make people think it's a completely different beast. It still matters not a jot whatever the reason.

32 (edited by rajuru 2008-02-08 11:07)

Its amazing to see new version of PunBB.

I have just downloaded and installed it. I see registration system is still not much improved. But I think it should be improved by:

1. Email Activation System (Not by current method but by registration key after giving login details with username and password). The current option can also be kept as another option.
2. Captcha
3. Manual Admin Activation

all options is configuration from moderator section.

thanks. Good luck.

another thing:
I think admin panel does not require SEF. In case i misconfigure the SEF, i cannot access the admin panel too. so, please keep Admin section normal and only is FrontEnd configurable for SEF.

thanks

1. I don't see much difference between your suggestion and the way email works. When you go to activate the account, it has you set your new password then.
2. That will be an extension
3. You can already do that in 1.2 and you still can in 1.3 wink

34 (edited by ortzinator 2008-02-08 23:18)

MattF wrote:

It makes no difference whether it's labelled 1.3 or 2.0. It's not a pissing contest with other forum softwares. Primary number changes are normally used for a total rewrite, philosophy change, when you run out of .* numbers, or when you want to make people think it's a completely different beast. It still matters not a jot whatever the reason.

I didn't say anything about other scripts... Why would you even compare two scripts based on the version numbers?

The extension system is a pretty big feature addition. Even if it's not totally correct versioning-wise, I just thought that alone warranted a new major version number.

You could also argue that because PunBB's main philosophy is to let the user choose the features they want, with very few built-in, PunBB would never reach 2.0. So maybe the devs should decide their own rules for versioning.

ortzinator wrote:

So maybe the devs should decide their own rules for versioning.

They have, and it's reached 1.3. big_smile There are no rules for versioning. They are just commonly followed/accepted norms, so to speak.

ortzinator wrote:

I didn't say anything about other scripts... Why would you even compare two scripts based on the version numbers?

I didn't, but there does generally tend to be a notable increase in people mentioning larger version numbers when alternative software has upped it's primary point.

How many times have we been through the reasoning behind Rickard and the dev teams way of versioning PunBB? tongue

~James
FluxBB - Less is more

Dr.Jeckyl wrote:

How many times have we been through the reasoning behind Rickard and the dev teams way of versioning PunBB? tongue

I don't know but I'm sure your gonna tell us.

[img]http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/746/scripter8ko.png[/img]
http://openwings.co.cc

LOL! I can't seem to find the thread but it's been discussed.

~James
FluxBB - Less is more

Dr.Jeckyl wrote:

LOL! I can't seem to find the thread but it's been discussed.

I can't find that/those topic(s) either, but the following is in the MDK:

Rickard wrote:

Version numbering: The first release of a mod should always be 1.0. 1.0.1
                     is a bug fix release based on 1.0. If the new version
                     offers added features or a large number of bugfixes it
                     could be called 1.1. Stepping up to version 2.0 would
                     more or less require a complete rewrite of the mod.

PunBB follows those same Unix-style naming conventions.

Looking for a certain modification for your forum? Please take a look here before posting.

I cleared cache directory and returned first settings. But I couldn't understand why didn't work this mod on my server. I use Hostgator and I think there's no problem. I uploaded .htaccess file in root directory of forum.

PunBG: Please take your discussion to the Beta talk forum wink

When will the documentation be ready?

FluxBB - v1.4.8

I got to say I installed PunBB 1.3 and it looks awesome and simple. Nice progress since the very first releases I saw a long time ago.

Is there a beta version more recent than 30 Jan 08?

http://dev.punbb.org/browser/branches/punbb-1.3-dev

"Download in other formats: Zip Archive"

Welcome to my WoW guild site, the Eternal Reach.

You can also visit Chita, a site built by me, a feral paradise for feline animals.

Brilliant, thanks.

MathsIsFun wrote:

Brilliant, thanks.

You can also update to the latest by downloading the updates with tortoiseSVN f.e.

great, thank you guys.