{
print("Welcome to our forums! You have to register first, or please login.");
}
else
{
print("hello, $cur_user['username'], welcome to our forums!");
}
?>

I placed this code in index.php. But it doesn't work. It gives this parse error:

Parse error: parse error, expecting `T_STRING' or `T_VARIABLE' or `T_NUM_STRING' in /home/basalph/public_html/forum/index.php on line 49

Why is this?

Re: $cur_user['username']

Try this:

print("hello, ".$cur_user['username'].", welcome to our forums!");

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

3 (edited by Paul 2004-03-01 15:16)

Don't you have to join strings to variables i.e. you can't just dump a variable in the middle of a string.

("hello, ".$cur_user['username'].", welcome to our fourms!");

My code is probably wrong but I think that is the problem and somebody will no doubt correct my coding efforts.

[EDIT]

Rickard must have replied while I was composing this. At least it's nice to know I got the code right.

4 (edited by basalphenaar 2004-03-01 16:40)

ok, tnx for help wink

edit:
it works smile

i just soooooooo don't get it, that code won't work for me. even if i logged in to the forum
http://www.dutcholsentwins.com/uhm.php always sees me as a guest (so nothing appears on the sccreen). I have that problem on my own computer, on someone elses computer and on the computers of school...

And you have included common.php before running that code I hope?

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

yes i have :s

Could you show me the whole piece of code that isn't working?

sure thing smile

<?
$pun_root = './forum/nl/';  // Path to the forum root directory (must be defined)
require $pun_root.'include/common.php';

if ($cookie['is_guest'])
{
    // The visitor is a guest. Do whatever.
}
else
{
    // The visitor is logged in.

echo 'Hello '.pun_htmlspecialchars($cur_user['username']);
}
?>

And what settings do you have for cookie_domain and cookie_path in your config.php?

this is what i have in config.php

$cookie_domain = '';
$cookie_path = '/';

might it have something to do with the fact cookie_domain is empty?

Could this have anything to do with there being two forums installed for different languages sharing a common membership and presumably a common cookie?

I have just checked my cookie_domain on my own PC and on a remote server. In both cases my settings are the same as yours.

I honestly have no idea what's wrong. My guess is that it is related to cookies somehow, but I'm not sure how.

Try just running dump($cookie); after including common.php. What does it output?

this is the output, whether i'm logged in or logged out..in both cases i get this as the output:

Array
(
    [username] => Guest
    [is_guest] => 1
)

Ok, try this. Replace all the code above with this:

dump($_COOKIE);

this is the output when i do that:

Array
(
)

That means that, for some reason, there is no valid cookie set at all. Well, not one that the script has access to anyway.

but why? sad
anything that could fix it?

You aren't visiting the page by going to a different URL than you normally do?

uhm, well.. i visit the forums by going to http://forum.dutcholsentwins.com
and i visit the site by going to http://www.dutcholsentwins.com
so they are both the same domain... dutcholsentwins.com

One thing I noticed, and I don't know if it means anything. DOT produces a cookie which is @forum.dutcholsentwins.com. Is this treated as the same domain as @dutcholsentwins.com. The reason I ask is that PunBB's cookie is @punbb.org even though the url is forums.punbb.org.

Try this:

$cookie_domain = '.dutcholsentwins.com';

You will probably have to log in again.

23 (edited by jochem 2004-03-07 15:41)

yes, thank you, it worked.

24 (edited by jochem 2004-03-07 15:41)

never mind, solved it