Topic: This Might be a solution For Dublicate Urls in 1.3 .. i mean SEF urls

i noticed that the dublicate urls and other url problem are not fixed since my last request here: http://punbb.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=18267

so i tried to search it in google to find some answers ... i found that a mod for phpbb3 called Magic Url has found the dublicate urls answer ... but that mod was commercial .. so i searched and found these two sites which disscussed about that ...

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=587953

http://forums.searchenginewatch.com/sho … &pp=20

MyFootballCafe.com  is Now Online!

Re: This Might be a solution For Dublicate Urls in 1.3 .. i mean SEF urls

There are several coding solutions, but in my opinion it's a very minor issue unless you switch your URL scheme.

Why would someone publish a link to yourforum.tld/ASpecificThread when your scheme says yourforum.tld/booze-categor/uber-forum/a-specific-thread (or whatever)?

But if this is an issue for some, maybe it could start as an extenstion?

how about a tiny url mod.. this seem more doable since most hosting companys dont allow url rewrite....

Q

My stuff or my style might sux, but atleast I'm willing to help when I can.
Don't be stupid and help ! We are the stupid one's !!!

quaker: Very few companies I've seen disallow mod_rewrite hmm
I guess it might depend on the price you're paying for the hosting (eg: free hosts might not, places that oversell a lot might not to save CPU), but in general I can't recall any major host off the top of my head that doesn't allow it.

quaker wrote:

how about a tiny url mod.. this seem more doable since most hosting companys dont allow url rewrite....

Most hosting company allow it.

And all the good ones do.

All the good ones have PHP 5 installed too.

Nope, all the real ones with PHP have the PHP 5 version, since PHP 4 has been discontinued for two month now. If one doesn't provide anything but 4.x version, they shouldn't call themselves an internet company.

What about OpenSEF for Joomla?

http://sourceforge.net/projects/opensef/

The only real issue is dealing with forums that, for some reason, want to switch from one URL scheme to another. For example, eventually, we will want to switch the URL scheme used here in order to showcase the fact that 1.3 support SEF URLs.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

10 (edited by orlandu63 2008-02-21 12:41)

Jérémie wrote:

Nope, all the real ones with PHP have the PHP 5 version, since PHP 4 has been discontinued for two month now. If one doesn't provide anything but 4.x version, they shouldn't call themselves an internet company.

So why does PunBB still support PHP4, a discontinued product? One of the devs answered that "PunBB does not require any features of PHP5." But what about the future of PunBB? Supporting PHP4 will limit you to only its (lack of) features. There are many great new classes and functions that come with PHP5, like filter_* and PDO. SimpleXMLElement and XMLWriter will allow you to easily parse extension info and syndicate feeds. And SPL will be great once (if) PunBB becomes OO. There is absolutely no reason to not discontinue PHP4 support, and move on to PHP5.

orlandu63 wrote:

So why does PunBB still support PHP4, a discontinued product?

Because we can. We don't use any PHP 5 only features, so there's no reason to drop support.

orlandu63 wrote:

One of the devs answered that "PunBB does not require any features of PHP5." But what about the future of PunBB?

When we want/need those features, we can raise the version requirement. There's no reason to arbitrarily raise the version required. We have no problem doing so when necessary (eg: PunBB 1.3 requires at least PHP 4.3, which is a higher requirement than 1.2, and also requires a newer version of MySQL).

orlandu63 wrote:

There are many great new classes and functions that come with PHP5, like filter_* and PDO.

Filter:
http://www.php-security.org/MOPB/PMOPB-45-2007.html
"This vulnerability is also one of the reasons why we do not recommend using ext/filter for user input filtering/validation. Whenever there is a fault in the code the application might be open for attacks and only the admin of the server is able to fix this. This is especially bad in shared hosting environments."
PDO:
We have our own DB layer set up, I don't see why we need another abstraction layer.

orlandu63 wrote:

SimpleXMLElement and XMLWriter will allow you to easily parse extension info and syndicate feeds.

Seems to me like we're already doing fine parsing extension info, and that code could be used to syndicate feeds as well (I think). What's the problem?

orlandu63 wrote:

And SPL will be great once (if) PunBB becomes OO.

Super. But it isn't. So it's irrelevant wink

orlandu63 wrote:

There is absolutely no reason to not discontinue PHP4 support, and move on to PHP5.

Except for the fact that we neither want nor need the features given to us only in PHP5. We don't want to stop support for the sake of stopping support. If there are compelling reasons (like there were in 1.3), then we raise the version number.

12 (edited by Mikey B 2008-02-21 20:45)

Smartys wrote:
orlandu63 wrote:

So why does PunBB still support PHP4, a discontinued product?

Because we can. We don't use any PHP 5 only features, so there's no reason to drop support.

orlandu63 wrote:

One of the devs answered that "PunBB does not require any features of PHP5." But what about the future of PunBB?

When we want/need those features, we can raise the version requirement. There's no reason to arbitrarily raise the version required. We have no problem doing so when necessary (eg: PunBB 1.3 requires at least PHP 4.3, which is a higher requirement than 1.2, and also requires a newer version of MySQL).

orlandu63 wrote:

There are many great new classes and functions that come with PHP5, like filter_* and PDO.

Filter:
http://www.php-security.org/MOPB/PMOPB-45-2007.html
"This vulnerability is also one of the reasons why we do not recommend using ext/filter for user input filtering/validation. Whenever there is a fault in the code the application might be open for attacks and only the admin of the server is able to fix this. This is especially bad in shared hosting environments."
PDO:
We have our own DB layer set up, I don't see why we need another abstraction layer.

orlandu63 wrote:

SimpleXMLElement and XMLWriter will allow you to easily parse extension info and syndicate feeds.

Seems to me like we're already doing fine parsing extension info, and that code could be used to syndicate feeds as well (I think). What's the problem?

orlandu63 wrote:

And SPL will be great once (if) PunBB becomes OO.

Super. But it isn't. So it's irrelevant wink

orlandu63 wrote:

There is absolutely no reason to not discontinue PHP4 support, and move on to PHP5.

Except for the fact that we neither want nor need the features given to us only in PHP5. We don't want to stop support for the sake of stopping support. If there are compelling reasons (like there were in 1.3), then we raise the version number.

Smarys ownt you with his e-knowledge! smile