Topic: Problems with installation

Hi, im completely new to the world of setting up a PunBB forum and am having trouble with one of the final steps of setting up my forum. I made it as far as the installation page where you input all the info (where it asks for database server name, admin info, etc...) and I fill out everything to the best of my knowledge (I set up my hosting with godaddy.com so it has a mysql database which I set up) and when I click "start install" I just get a blank screen. Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong? I am really lost and am getting frustrated because it took me quite a while to get this far and I am so close to completion. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Problems with installation

http://punbb.org/docs/video_tutorials/v … punbb.html
Does that help?

3 (edited by beyedj99 2008-02-23 02:42)

I had been using that video tutorial as well as another one (which was a little hard to follow because I am using xp, not vista and im also using dreamweaver) and I watch what the user does in the video and I enter everything properly and when get gets to the page where you have to copy the code into the new config file, I just get a blank page and the tutorial doesnt address that, any ideas?

Ok so I wasnt getting this message before now now I am getting a message saying "
PunBB reported: Unable to connect to MySQL server. MySQL reported: Unknown MySQL Server Host 'beyedj99' (11004)" or "PunBB reported: Unable to connect to MySQL server. MySQL reported: Client does not support authentication protocol requested by server; consider upgrading MySQL client"

What does this mean? I have my mysql set up through godaddy, is there something wrong with that? Im inputting the information exactly as I have it set up and still nothing.

beyedj99: Don't use the MySQL Improved option then, just use the regular MySQL option (for the database type).

The only option I have is "MySQL Standard".

That is the regular, (standard), MySQL option.

Oh, right, I got confused there, sorry.
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/old-client.html
The fix for you (since there's no MySQLi extension) is to set the password for your MySQL user using the OLD_PASSWORD function. If that doesn't mean anything to you, talk to your host and give them the error and ask them how you would set the password to use the old scheme. wink

Ok ill try that. Im sorry im very new at all this and I dont know all the technical terms. What is my "client" and how do I upgrade it? I tried setting up a MySQL database using both 4.1 and 5.0 and neither work. So you think if I call my host they will know what im talking about. Im sorry for being so naive on the topic but im just about as much of a beginner as you can be.

Just talk to your host, this should be a common problem for them. wink