Topic: A Good Suggesion for Punbb Developers and Extension Developers

Check these two Posts and you will understand

SuperMAG wrote:
SuperMAG wrote:
kierownik wrote:

I just installed mybb on my localhost and I took a look at the admincp and I got lost in where I should look for things hmm
Let me just stick with punbb where everything is cristal clear smile and you can decide yourself what extra's you want smile

good post

speaking about admin area in 1.3 .. i am realy dissapointed ...

i mean its to complicated for extensions sittings to be mixed with the orignal sittings ... in 1.2 you have plugins seperated ... this is a little complicated ... i wanted to ask them to make an page along with every extensions if they need sittings ... like  (Disible - Unistall - Sitting)

but i guess i am alittle late for that ... am i

and

SuperMAG wrote:
lie2815 wrote:
SuperMAG wrote:

speaking about admin area in 1.3 .. i am realy dissapointed ...

i mean its to complicated for extensions sittings to be mixed with the orignal sittings ... in 1.2 you have plugins seperated ... this is a little complicated ... i wanted to ask them to make an page along with every extensions if they need sittings ... like  (Disible - Unistall - Sitting)

but i guess i am alittle late for that ... am i

It is kind of easy to disable them. Just go to extensions and click "disable"...

i am not talking about disibling them ... i am talking about some extensions that have sittings and own pages ... but that sittings and pages are mixed with the orignal Admin sittings ... so its hard to find where these sittings are ... it would be alot eaiser if the extension page has like this

(Disable  Uninstall  Sittings)

in which sittings consist all the sittings that are related to the extension

MyFootballCafe.com  is Now Online!

Re: A Good Suggesion for Punbb Developers and Extension Developers

I understand, but I don't agree. I believe it's a lot more logical to look for settings under "Settings" than under "Extensions". When you've got an extension with maybe just one or two settings then it'll be unneccessary (speling) to give them their own page. When it's got so many settings that it needs it's own page, then put it under settings.

intedinmamma wrote:

I understand, but I don't agree. I believe it's a lot more logical to look for settings under "Settings" than under "Extensions". When you've got an extension with maybe just one or two settings then it'll be unneccessary (speling) to give them their own page. When it's got so many settings that it needs it's own page, then put it under settings.

you will see what i mean for this when you install 20 extensions and will insall 10 more ... and recheck all the sittings again and again ...

this is very important and will not mix the sittings with orignal punbb sittings

but when only have 2 options in your extension ... on - off

then do not put the (sittings) in that extension

Or we developers can define where the url settings goes to, then the admin just has to click on settings and he will be taken to the right page, is that an option?

SuperMAG wrote:

you will see what i mean for this when you install 20 extensions and will insall 10 more ... and recheck all the sittings again and again ...

this is very important and will not mix the sittings with orignal punbb sittings

but when only have 2 options in your extension ... on - off

then do not put the (sittings) in that extension

If I will see what you mean when I install 30(!) extensions, then those extensions won't be well made. And if some settings are in your "extension settings", and some not, then you'll loose consistency.

kierownik wrote:

Or we developers can define where the url settings goes to, then the admin just has to click on settings and he will be taken to the right page, is that an option?

thats a good option but still my idea was bitter ... why do u guys want to mix every thing when you have chance to do it normally....

'Normally,' as you define it, is just what you are used to.
I much prefer putting settings where they belong - with similar settings.

elbekko wrote:

not that i am used to ... because its bitter and cleaner way ... i cant beleave no one agree with that ...

SuperMAG wrote:
elbekko wrote:

not that i am used to ... because its bitter and cleaner way ... i cant beleave no one agree with that ...

The fact that people aren't agreeing you might be a hint that other people don't think it's a better way tongue

The trouble with this one is which way is better depends on the number and type of extensions. If somebody adds a couple of major extensions then the best way is probably extra submenu items. If somebody adds two or three extensions with a few options each then the best way is new sections on the settings page. If somebody adds a mixed bag of 20 extensions then it might be cleaner to manage the extensions seperately from the rest of the admin interface. The short answer is there is no right answer.

Paul wrote:

The trouble with this one is which way is better depends on the number and type of extensions. If somebody adds a couple of major extensions then the best way is probably extra submenu items. If somebody adds two or three extensions with a few options each then the best way is new sections on the settings page. If somebody adds a mixed bag of 20 extensions then it might be cleaner to manage the extensions seperately from the rest of the admin interface. The short answer is there is no right answer.

exactly ...  its just  a suggestion ... nothing more ...