1 (edited by juman 2004-03-08 22:44)

Topic: Moderated forums

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum-manager but like to look of it so far. I just wonder if it is possible to make forums moderated? Is there any patch/mod/adminconfig that can do it that I have missed?

/juman

Re: Moderated forums

In the user list, select the users you want to be moderators/administrators. After that, there is a list of topics that they can moderate.

Do, or do not.

3 (edited by juman 2004-03-08 23:07)

Hmmmm yes that is almost what I want. What I am looking for is a way to block a new message from being published before it has been accepted by a moderator. I looked through this message board and saw some notes about that it wasn't possible and wondered if there was any news in this subject?

I guess this could be a useful feature, however, I would hate to be a moderator if/when your board becomes popular.

Do, or do not.

The feature has been requested before, and will most likely come with PunBB 1.2.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

that way, i don't see the advantage of a forum anymore...those who post messages you don't want to be posted should simply be banned.
i myself would never participate on a forum where posts have to be validated first.. that's waaaaaaaay to annoying. But that's just my opinion wink

7 (edited by Paul 2004-03-10 15:14)

jochem wrote:

that way, i don't see the advantage of a forum anymore...those who post messages you don't want to be posted should simply be banned.
i myself would never participate on a forum where posts have to be validated first.. that's waaaaaaaay to annoying. But that's just my opinion wink

1. A business wants to use a forum for customer and potential customer questions. Because these are one off posts it is open to guests. You would have to vet posts in order to avoid the "your company is crap" type of contribution.

2. A school wants to set up a bbs on its intranet. They might well want posts approved by teachers and/or trusted student moderators before the posts get onto the board.

3. A local community wants to set up a board which is going to be used by children. It would be essential that everything that happens can be controlled and monitered by adults though in that case you would want rather tighter controls than post approval is going to give you on its own.

Paul wrote:

2. A school wants to set up a bbs on its intranet. They might well want posts approved by teachers and/or trusted student moderators before the posts get onto the board.

3. A local community wants to set up a board which is going to be used by children. It would be essential that everything that happens can be controlled and monitered by adults though in that case you would want rather tighter controls than post approval is going to give you on its own.

Well, what's wrong with freedom of speech? And don't throw me some stupid argument about that some people can't behave themself.

Jansson: There is no such thing as freedom of speech in moderated forums. Not even in this one. If someone posts something I find offensive, I will remove it.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life."

10 (edited by Paul 2004-03-10 18:52)

Jansson, you missed the point. In some circumstances it is not about freedom, it is about protection. In other cases the choice will be between providing a useful facility i.e. a bbs with restrictions or not providing it all.

11 (edited by zc923 2004-03-10 20:51)

Paul, you have a great point

I have grown up with this whole concept of freedom of speach, mostly because I live in USA. If you dont play close attention to the clauses, you might miss this important statement. This is the abriged version of it: Freedom of speach cannot be used against another persons rights.
Thats besides the point.

In some cases, this feature is very valuable. However, this tool should also be used with great care. If you filter out everything, there is no point of posting.

Edit: Congrats to me...100th post.

Do, or do not.

When I say freedom of speech I mean freedom to say whatever you want. And I know that's not the practical meaning of it in many countries. And I know you think that many people aren't ready the hear everything, and you also think that it would create chaos. But take a look at the world today, I don't think we can come more closer to chaos, or can we?

This is my opinion and you have expressed yours so.. end of discussion I think ;)

I agree. Im against certain types of censurships. If this was a school form, this idea would work fine. In "real world" (what ever that is) practicality, this feature would make people run and hide.

Do, or do not.

14 (edited by jochem 2004-03-11 07:24)

Paul wrote:

1. A business wants to use a forum for customer and potential customer questions. Because these are one off posts it is open to guests. You would have to vet posts in order to avoid the "your company is crap" type of contribution.

i still dislike it.. who's gonna post on forums where it takes a day before your post shows up?? not me.. smile As for #1,  would be better to use email instead of a forum roll

The situation isn't always as simple as freedom of speech.
I'm myself looking for something along the lines of this rather desperately because I'm in a position where I have been asked to create a forum where, if the public were able to post anything, I would be putting my job on the line.

It's not a case of "this person is being mean to someone", but it's a case of website links and similar.

Posted my reply so I can listen for replies also wink (and the subscribe link was further from my mouse pointer and i'm lazy).

Amadiere wrote:

I'm myself looking for something along the lines of this rather desperately because I'm in a position where I have been asked to create a forum where, if the public were able to post anything, I would be putting my job on the line.

It's not a case of "this person is being mean to someone", but it's a case of website links and similar.

Posted my reply so I can listen for replies also wink (and the subscribe link was further from my mouse pointer and i'm lazy).

Hmn. Maybe put something in the rules. At this type of situation, a Legal escape hatch is always good. Then again, nothing is fool proof.

Do, or do not.

17 (edited by sleddog 2004-05-07 09:21)

zc923 wrote:
Amadiere wrote:

Hmn. Maybe put something in the rules. At this type of situation, a Legal escape hatch is always good. Then again, nothing is fool proof.

I recall reading that in US law the owner/administrator of a website cannot be held legally responsible for content on the site if the content is contributed via a publication system open for use by the public -- that is a paraphrase from memory smile  I'd be interested to hear about laws in other countries. I can't find anything similar or relevant for my country (Canada).

Of course legal responsibilty is one thing, displeasing your employer is something entirely different.

Was there any resolution to the addition of this feature? We just installed and launched http://www.gripmagazine.ca and the client is requesting an approval process for posts very similar to this request.

I've seen multiple replies saying this would come in PunBB 1.2 - we are currently at PunBB 1.2.11 - does this feature exist and I cannot see how to implement it?

Any help is greatly appreciated!