Topic: 1.2 vs 1.3

Easy question... Yes/No answer... Can give reasoning if you like... big_smile

Will you use 1.2 at all when 1.3 is released?

Re: 1.2 vs 1.3

No, but I'll start using 1.3 after there are some good mods ^^.

Yup. big_smile I've absolutely no intention of migrating to 1.3 anytime soon. (Or possibly even later, for that matter). big_smile.

I will not use 1.3 until all the extensions I need to get the same functionnalities as in my current 1.2 are available

No, but before switching my active forums to 1.3 I will wait until it was deployed on a large scale without issue, plus some time necessary to re-create the stylesheets and turn some hacks into plugins.

But overall no, 1.2 has major issues bugging me.

I think I can generally predict the answers:
Anyone using vanilla PunBB: likely to upgrade the fastest, since the upgrade process should be painless and they'll gain lots of new features
Anyone who has installed modifications, a style from PunRes, etc: they will use 1.2 until enough of their existing features are available
Anyone with special, custom anything (integration, modifications, style, etc): they'll use 1.2 for as long as humanly possible, since upgrading that stuff involves recoding that they have to pay for or do (I know that feeling, I did a Wordpress 2.3->2.5 upgrade the other day where I had a lot of custom integration code that had to be redone).

So, with PunBB-Hosting, I fall somewhere between the second and third categories. I have a lot of custom code for doing the multi-forum stuff which I'll have to rewrite, and I also support quite a few modifications/styles which need to be converted for 1.3. Upgrading the site won't be so bad; I managed to put in UTF-8 support a while back, which made supporting the many languages very simple, so all I need to do is manually apply some schema changes across all forums, which I already have a tool for. The issue will be doing it with minimal downtime. tongue

7 (edited by MattF 2008-04-15 11:10)

That prediction is pretty damned accurate smartys. big_smile There is also an indirect fourth category too, (closely linked to category three). Mods/extensions. Unless the coding and security levels improve big style on some of the mods, there are people who will be loathe to have to recode half of the, (what will now be), extensions, to work securely and as expected. I definitely fall in categories three and four. big_smile

Plus, to be honest, there's nowt in 1.3 that I really find a necessity, personally. UTF8 I already have. Search function isn't an issue. Extensions, they are fairly moot. Anything else that may rock my boat, I can easily add to 1.2* if required, which would involve less work than adapting 1.3 to takeover from the current setup. big_smile And those fancy uri's are definitely not on my list of top requirements. big_smile

8 (edited by StevenBullen 2008-04-15 14:21)

Spot on Smartys as usual.
Hopefully I will have the benefit with PunHosting that I don't need to worry about old mods. I have custom code in places, but it is set up as an hidden extension so works out pretty well.

The only problem I see with upgrading in the long run is that people use different mods for the same thing. So when 1.3 extension is created it wont cater an upgrade for all old mods that do the same thing. So I see many people with 1.2 for a long time... forever even.

Only the hardcore PunBB people will look to do an upgrade when lots of extensions are available.

Anyway all that said... I should of rephrased my question because I didn't really get my intentional result.
REPHRASED: When 1.3 is released with a fair few (major/minor) extensions would you still use 1.2?

I'll move once there is a good Poll Mod for 1.3!  wink

As always, Smarty's is right on the money with his assessment.   Seriously though, I'm between 3 and 4 too!

10 (edited by SuperMAG 2008-04-16 09:05)

my old forums will remain the same as i am not good at mysql stuff which will cause the problem for my site before and since i like my old style so it will not be changed ...

but all the forums that i will do in the future will be 1.3 ... since extension system maked it easy to install etc ...

MyFootballCafe.com  is Now Online!

By the way, when will PunDemo be released???

FluxBB - v1.4.8

lie2815 wrote:

By the way, when will PunDemo be released???

I removed it from my signature as 1.3 looks like it wont be any time in the next few weeks.

I will be hunting for BETA testers soon though. tongue

hello steven bullen ...what happened to you arcade extension .. are u gonno realease it soon .. that will be great extension

SuperMAG wrote:

hello steven bullen ...what happened to you arcade extension .. are u gonno realease it soon .. that will be great extension

Its nearly complete.

My TO DO list is just way to long. tongue

StevenBullen wrote:
SuperMAG wrote:

Its nearly complete.

and it just keeps getting bigger wink

StevenBullen wrote:
SuperMAG wrote:

Its nearly complete.

you got me intrested ....

what is your to do list

SuperMAG wrote:
StevenBullen wrote:
SuperMAG wrote:

Its nearly complete.

what is your to do list

its a list of jobs he has to do which when he gets one done i go and be picky at it wink

Back on topic guys. tongue

Mark wrote:
SuperMAG wrote:
StevenBullen wrote:

Its nearly complete.

what is your to do list

its a list of jobs he has to do which when he gets one done i go and be picky at it wink

i know that ... but i want to see what is his list ... or what extensions he will do after that ...

thanks