Re: Moving to a new domain

Hi, all.

Yes, I work for ?the folks who own the PunBB project?.

No, we are not planning ?paid official extensions & support? or anything like that.

And yes, we are going to release all the further versions of PunBB core and extensions under GPL, in cooperation with the community. PunBB remains Free, nothing's going to be changed.

Although only old PunBB Team have taken part in discussions so far, we are attentively reading Forums and other sites concerning PunBB. Feedback from the community is the guideline for our strategy and has always influenced our decisions.

We are planning to have only one way of commercial use of PunBB (PunBB was bought having these plans in mind): it is cross-promotion and integration (of course using non-core-integrated optional extensions only) with other of our services like feed.informer.com. That is why we?ve moved punbb.org to punbb.informer.com. It is important for us to openly cross-promote our services among sites and not to deceive users regarding projects` affiliation. The strong opinion of company leaders is that our position is much more honest in relation to PunBB users, than well-known pseudo-independent ?.org? foundations, who actively promote internet-giants in their ?free, open-source and noncommercial? products.

We are going to publish a bunch of extensions soon and release 1.3 core in cooperation with the community.

Carpe diem

That sounds ok ^^.

Anatoly wrote:

The strong opinion of company leaders is that our position is much more honest in relation to PunBB users, than well-known pseudo-independent ?.org? foundations, who actively promote internet-giants in their ?free, open-source and noncommercial? products.

Hi Anatoly,

Open Source is about openness, conveying to the community your goals, aspirations and day to day happenings. PunBB has a blog, which could have been used to convey SoftDeluxe's honest intentions from the start. This switching of domains should of been discussed here on this forum, gotten the user's opinions long beforehand. Keep in mind that PunBB is nothing without the community, the code has no value without it's dedicated users.

The reason I got involved with PunBB four years back was that Rickard was open and honest with us. He returned our emails, he was a person you could touch and feel. I don't feel you Anatoly, I don't know who you are, what your intentions are or if you prefer beer over wine. There in lies the problem, why I've stayed away from this forum for so long, lack of communication.

Yes, I was a former developer, but I'm still a user.

29 (edited by SuperMAG 2008-05-02 00:48)

ha ha ha ha ha (don't ask me why i laughed ok ) ha ha ha

MyFootballCafe.com  is Now Online!

As long as PunBB keeps it's initial goals, it's fine by me. Currently anxiously waiting the PunBB final 1.3, keep up the good work guys!

This is for sure a strange decision indeed, the domain punbb.org is perfect for this project, changing the domain will affect all incoming links, SEO will suffer, I see pagerank dropped from 7 to 3. I see nothing positive about this, a subdomain for a project like this doesn´t give what it deserves.

What a pity.....

32 (edited by snapsolutions 2008-05-03 01:45)

hcgtv wrote:
Anatoly wrote:

The strong opinion of company leaders is that our position is much more honest in relation to PunBB users, than well-known pseudo-independent ?.org? foundations, who actively promote internet-giants in their ?free, open-source and noncommercial? products.

Hi Anatoly,

Open Source is about openness, conveying to the community your goals, aspirations and day to day happenings. PunBB has a blog, which could have been used to convey SoftDeluxe's honest intentions from the start. This switching of domains should of been discussed here on this forum, gotten the user's opinions long beforehand. Keep in mind that PunBB is nothing without the community, the code has no value without it's dedicated users.

The reason I got involved with PunBB four years back was that Rickard was open and honest with us. He returned our emails, he was a person you could touch and feel. I don't feel you Anatoly, I don't know who you are, what your intentions are or if you prefer beer over wine. There in lies the problem, why I've stayed away from this forum for so long, lack of communication.

Yes, I was a former developer, but I'm still a user.

Good one hcgtv.

Anatoly, I don't want to jump into conclusions, I think it's too early for that, but somehow I don't like all this.

1. Moving from .org to .com domain is a bit fishy to me.

2. Why hide info of informer.com if you are promoting 'honesty'?

Private, Registration  INFORMER.COM@domainsbyproxy.com
      Domains by Proxy, Inc.
      DomainsByProxy.com
      15111 N. Hayden Rd., Ste 160, PMB 353
      Scottsdale, Arizona 85260
      United States
      (480) 624-2599      Fax -- (480) 624-2599

3. What's next? Sending me junk mail with promotions on my email address that I used to register on punbb.org?

snapsolutions wrote:

3. What's next? Sending me junk mail with promotions on my email address that I used to register on punbb.org?

That wont happen... If it does I would leave punbb instantly.

34 (edited by snapsolutions 2008-05-03 02:11)

How can you be sure? How do you expect me to trust them when they are hiding from the begining?

Now that they own the project, they have a huge DB full with email addresses. To be exact -> Total number of registered users: 12869

This is not a good start!

You do have a good point there. Another shitload of spam ontop of the shitload already in this mailbox wouldn't be very fun to have.

lie2815 wrote:

Just btw, the automatic update checking fails now... ;)

Fixed.
Thanks.

Carpe diem

Heh, all these posts 'bout paying for PunBB are worst scenario-situations that certainly would make me very sad.
I am not a juridical person who knows all rules and such, but is it possible for anyone to charge f.e me for having PunBB even if I got my latest version before they would've begun wanting money for it or is it just if I want to have a new extension or so? :S
(I read Anatoly's post and am ofc glad to hear that there are no direct thoughts of doing something like what I mentioned above.)

Darth Vader will chase you away with his lightsaber!
GalacticEmpire.se Forum

Smells like Mambo and Joomla! to me.

don't forget http://software.informer.com/

Anatoly wrote:
lie2815 wrote:

Just btw, the automatic update checking fails now... wink

Fixed.
Thanks.

It is? Where? Does it still work with punbb.org or did the Trac environment move, too?

FluxBB - v1.4.8

lie2815 wrote:
Anatoly wrote:
lie2815 wrote:

Just btw, the automatic update checking fails now... wink

Fixed.
Thanks.

It is? Where? Does it still work with punbb.org or did the Trac environment move, too?

Old URLs work for updates for a while: http://punbb.org/update/?type=xml&v … 1.3%20Beta

We are not planning to move *.punbb.org subdomains like http://dev.punbb.org or http://blog.punbb.org as yet.

Carpe diem

hcgtv wrote:

Yes, you are right.

We do not want to bring revolutionary changes to the PunBB world and we had no critical issues to discuss before. The community leader, Rickard, was the only person who gave ?official? comments on PunBB events for a long time. Now we are making steps, requiring direct communication with the community, so we start such a discussion here. We?ll think of blogging about this, thanks for the point.

hcgtv wrote:

I understand you and? feel free to mail us, or personally me :))

Yes, there is a problem that we are a corporation, not a guru-person like Rickard. And we should acknowledge that we don?t have enough experience of being ?open and honest? as a company, and no one of us can pretend to be such a leader as Rickard.
Yes, it is hard to tell us: ?Hey, fellow, do you have enough beer to code 1.3 in a month?? Seeing this, we?re starting to answer your questions here and we will try to be ?open and honest? enough.
We do know the great value of the community and we are looking for the ways of giving proper comments and feelings to you.

Telling more about our plans, we?d like PunBB to become the best forum engine in every respect, adding maximum of functionality, but for all that, keeping it ?fast and lightweight?. PunBB 1.3 extension system is what enables us to do this. That is where we put most of our resources now. And like it was said above, we have no other commercial plans of using PunBB, but cross-promotion in other of our services, that takes the rest (lesser part) of our resources.

PS: I prefer kvass rather than beer. Red wine from time to time.

Carpe diem

http://dev.punbb.org/timeline

PunBB 1.3 hasn't been updated since April 24. What happened to it?

Welcome to my WoW guild site, the Eternal Reach.

You can also visit Chita, a site built by me, a feral paradise for feline animals.

My concern is that the owner may be taking to many things on at once...

From a quick look at feeds.informer the people their arnt happy with the service that you informer have given, saying that you have no intention to keeping it up and alive, placing ads. Which is what you done to punbb.

Did you think "its not working on feeds so sod it will move to punbb" ??

Sorry. Unactive due to personal life.

Anatoly wrote:

PS: I prefer kvass rather than beer.

Alcoholic bread, very interesting. I got in Yuengling a couple of years back, mostly cause it's a low cost beer that actually has a decent taste. I drink to my health, at least that's what I say to my wife wink

46 (edited by Gotipe 2008-05-05 17:15)

Whatever as long as it does not economically affect forums already installed on bought webhotel space. It seems only changes are made to the PunBB website, so the worst-case scenario isn't so close after all? :S I'll take it for what he said; "We do not want to bring revolutionary changes to the PunBB world ".

Darth Vader will chase you away with his lightsaber!
GalacticEmpire.se Forum

Anatoly wrote:

... but cross-promotion in other of our services, that takes the rest (lesser part) of our resources.

A good start would be to make feed.informer.com use PunBB as a forum...

FluxBB - v1.4.8

I don't think let the owners to move your site on them "catchemall" domain was a good idea.

A personal site is a great publicity. www.punbb.org sounds very much better than punbb.anunknowndomain.com. And .org sounds very much better than .com for free software fans... ^___^

Thanks for answering some of the concerns Anatoly smile

Anatoly wrote:

No, we are not planning ?paid official extensions & support? or anything like that.

Personally I wouldn't mind having the option of "paid support". The community here has always been great for giving support but having the option of asking a developer directly would be worth paying for imo.

Anatoly wrote:

We are going to publish a bunch of extensions soon and release 1.3 core in cooperation with the community.

Looking forward to 1.3, though not the task of updating all my boards and skins hmm

50 (edited by twohawks 2008-05-08 23:16)

Practically speaking, in the long run probably all that will matter is the content of punbb, and if what has been promised is ever betrayed.  However, even if that were to happen it may not matter in the long run either (but only if losing existing community support disappeared before 'new' support could be built during such a transition.)

As some here have suggested, maybe shifting the domain focus like this is only a trivial matter and really doesn't technically matter in the short, or even the long, run; but I cannot help but think community trust may indeed matter more, and shouldn't be taken for granted.  (And just to mention, I personally think a domain shift like this is not trivial. )

Oh Hell, as long as Rickard is at the helm with his tremendous team I still feel encouraged, i.e., there would have to be pretty radical negative changes for me to feel like I would no longer wish to be supporting them or this project (in whatever meager way I might do).

...However, neither do I find these things trivial just because strictly technically speaking they may not be>>...

I cannot help but immediately find it disturbing encountering a cheesy company domain (I mean, notonly do I find it weird and disturbing seeing "informer" in the url [jeez], but then it seems to be some short lived company with an interest in tracking - oh yeah, that's the spirit that compells me), ...what I mean is it felt like suddenly punbb is owned by some unknown software/(people tracking?) outfit or - well who are they?!, ...and so then my confidence with the product base here starts coming into question (quite naturally, i.e., no attitude required on my part).

And that the owner would take a prime domain for a powerfully prime product and then demote it to a subdomain to a questionable company?  (and  tracking and informing?)...  Anyway, shifting the domain in this way just seems to me plain stupid, or more to the point, ameteurish or parochial, or simply another brilliant way to bring me one step closer to being tracked by a tracker... hell I don't know.
Another indication of what may carry punbb to the next stages?

Oh, then I start checking out this thread, and go read a little more of what I didn't initially find out about who he/they are...
...I have to admit, it didn't help, ...as I keep adding things together I find this all a bit more disturbing. 

Sorry if that all sounds a bit harsh, or even childish, but to cap it off... I was not turned by your responses to hcgtv or others "anotoly" in your statements, including the one where you say "Feedback from the community is the guideline for our strategy and has always influenced our decisions". 
   Plainly (blatantly) that is counter (meaning opposite) to what one may observe right here in the community, which only lends further support to any concerns being raised by others here - concerns of can they trust the new owners. 

Obviously, based strictly on what we can observe here, we cannot really know.  Trivial or not, there it is.

Oh well, maybe I misread something? Guess we'll see what happens.  If I didn't misread or misconstrue, then I feel at least this is a good heads up, ...i.e, I won't expect things not to change in some unexpected way.

PS: I HOPE YOU ARE ON THE HIGH  ROAD TO FEELING BETTER AND BEING WELL, RICKARD ;^)
Cheers,

TwoHawks
Love is the Function
No Form is the Tool