1 (edited by Ghirai 2008-05-05 21:44)

Topic: Security and related board

Pretty much default install, couple tweaks to the theme and index, smilies buttons when posting, UTF-8, and captcha when registering.

http://nodereality.com

big_smile

Re: Security and related board

Interesting. I found it impossible to register using IE6 though - clicking on register.php off the forum menu generated a blank page. Doing the same in FF2 successfully generated a visible page though. Something is amiss there.

Also best of luck running a security site on a /C IP address range shared with sites like muslimhackers.com. Any site anywhere in the neighbourhood of that is likely going to attract (TLA) attention in this day and age.

I suggest that you be on your best behaviour...   smile

3 (edited by Ghirai 2008-05-05 23:14)

Eh couldn't care less about them.
You're right it doesn't seem to work on IE6, but does with 7. Don't plan on fixing it though.

The domain doesn't seem to resolve; besides, i doubt they would colo their server in a DC in London... tongue

Since they are only a few IP's away from your site, they are probably sharing a rack with you. They have a few services active. I'd be checking the cabling and network infrastructure very carefully if I was managing that data centre smile

Ghirai wrote:

You're right it doesn't seem to work on IE6, but does with 7. Don't plan on fixing it though.

There are a lot of IE users who can't use V7, unless M$ has suddenly made it run on anything older than XP.

MattF wrote:
Ghirai wrote:

There are a lot of IE users who can't use V7, unless M$ has suddenly made it run on anything older than XP.

Probably not a very large amount that would be interested in (or that you would want on) a computer security related board tongue

Reines wrote:

Probably not a very large amount that would be interested in (or that you would want on) a computer security related board tongue

Exactly.

As a sidenote, it seems to work if you refresh the blank page tongue

Reines wrote:
MattF wrote:
Ghirai wrote:

Really? Of course, you're perfectly correct. I'll carry on being all technically useless and unsophisticated and a glaring security breach on my 2000 machine then. I do apologise for being so stupid to even think otherwise.

As a fellow Windows 2000 user too, I'm all with you MattF. New and shiny does not always trump secure and stable.

There is nothing inherently in-secure either in the W2K OS or IE6 as a browser. FF, Opera, IE etc all have security issues, depending very much on how you run and use them.

What we shouldn't be arguing about is the need to produce good standards compliant HTML that modern, popular browsers like IE6 can render successfully.

I think any punbb forum/ style developer would do well to read the Yahoo guidelines on graded browser support here:
http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/articles/gbs/

IE6 is still considered a Grade A browser that web developers should still certainly aim to support.