Topic: Comment on FluxBB announcement

A number of PunBB key developers have decided to start their own fork of PunBB called FluxBB. We understand and respect the developers` decision to be independent and have a complete control over their "baby".

We reckon on fruitful cooperation with FluxBB community in further development of the core functionality so that to provide growth and compatibility of extensions by means of sharing the code. We suppose that such cooperation will let us create a unique synergy, in which the project's key core components and a set of extensions will be developed simultaneously by both the open-source community and the professional team of our company. In such a way, we hope to avoid problems of both pure company-driven and pure community-driven projects. This will let us achieve our aim in PunBB: creating a forum which is best in all respects.

However, FluxBB and PunBB will not be clone projects. They will differ in sets of extensions as well as in some functional and interface solutions, on which the teams may disagree. Thus, users will benefit as usual because they'll be able to choose whatever suits them best.

Finally, we would like to congratulate Rickard Andersson and wish him a happy marriage. We hope he will be able to set us on the right path if we fail to give his "baby" proper care (actually, he's now got two of them - PunBB and FluxBB).

Carpe diem

Re: Comment on FluxBB announcement

did you contact foreign punbb communities to explain the punbb future?

for example, french community doesn't know how punbb project will become...

From what people that dont use punbb say its verry simple. Just a thought but one could have all the features like Phpbb such as a calendar and pms pre installed and one can be the simple one...

Sorry. Unactive due to personal life.

nico_somb wrote:

is there anybody here?

Hello, Nicolas.

nico_somb wrote:

No, we have not contacted foreign PunBB communities yet.
PunBB development will go on in the same direction as earlier. PunBB 1.3 is coming.
We will update roadmap when 1.3 is released and will contact the communities then.

Carpe diem

ok, thank you.

Anatoly wrote:

We suppose that such cooperation will let us create a unique synergy, in which the project?s key core components and a set of extensions will be developed simultaneously by both the open-source community and the professional team of our company.

Anatoly,

Are you at liberty to tell us what extensions your professional team is working on?

???????.

hcgtv wrote:
Anatoly wrote:

We suppose that such cooperation will let us create a unique synergy, in which the project?s key core components and a set of extensions will be developed simultaneously by both the open-source community and the professional team of our company.

Anatoly,

Are you at liberty to tell us what extensions your professional team is working on?

???????.

Yup.

Here is the current list: http://punbb.informer.com/forums/viewto … 18#p114418
We are watching for users' requests and taking them in account.

Also we are working on extension updates notification system (having a repository on PunBB-server side).
We thought of it as a part of PunBB core, but for all that it will possibly be an extension.

The whole PunBB site including SVN-repository will be updated in view of recent events.
Extensions will be published as soon as SVN will be ready for that.
And our extensions need some work to be PunBB and FluxBB cross-compatible (if possible).

?????? ?????????? :)

Carpe diem

Anatoly wrote:

Thanks, I'll keep an eye on SVN then.

Anatoly wrote:
hcgtv wrote:
Anatoly wrote:

Anatoly,

???????.

Yup.

We are watching for users' requests and taking them in account.

Also we are working on extension updates notification system (having a repository on PunBB-server side).
We thought of it as a part of PunBB core, but for all that it will possibly be an extension.

The whole PunBB site including SVN-repository will be updated in view of recent events.
Extensions will be published as soon as SVN will be ready for that.
And our extensions need some work to be PunBB and FluxBB cross-compatible (if possible).

?????? ?????????? smile

i have a question to anatoly ...

who are ur professional team included ...

could you show me thier names or usernames ...

THANKS ... AND I AWAIT FOR YOU ANSWER

MyFootballCafe.com  is Now Online!

SuperMAG wrote:

who are ur professional team included ...
could you show me thier names or usernames...

They are local Russian PHP-developers and have different level in speaking English. We do not require them to register here, so I do not watch their nicknames here :)
As I have already said we mostly work on extensions. I think our developers will have to take an active part in discussions as soon as their extensions will be published.

However, you are right and I suppose we will publish developers list (with couple of words about each person) on PunBB site update.

Carpe diem

Anatoly wrote:

However, you are right and I suppose we will publish developers list (with couple of words about each person) on PunBB site update.

Punbb site update ... what did you meant by that ...

are you goono update it to 1.3

and thanks for responding ... looking forward for extension releases

MyFootballCafe.com  is Now Online!

the news that appers on the main punbb site !!

Sorry. Unactive due to personal life.

SuperMAG wrote:

Punbb site update ... what did you meant by that ...

I mean we are going to update PunBB site to reflect recent changes.

Carpe diem

Anatoly,

Besides moving punbb.org to punbb.informer.com, which I stated was a bad move, what caused the core programmers to decide to fork?

The reason I ask is simple, SoftDeluxe is looking like the ones that caused the split by requiring the core programmers to change PunBB to fit a corporation's interests. This has fueled the exodus of the community because they feel like their interests weren't looked after. You need to clarify this, so those of us sitting on the fence can make up our own minds.

hcgtv wrote:

Besides moving punbb.org to punbb.informer.com, which I stated was a bad move, what caused the core programmers to decide to fork?

The reason I ask is simple, SoftDeluxe is looking like the ones that caused the split by requiring the core programmers to change PunBB to fit a corporation's interests. This has fueled the exodus of the community because they feel like their interests weren't looked after. You need to clarify this, so those of us sitting on the fence can make up our own minds.

See this and this posts for my opinion.

Carpe diem

Anatoly wrote:

See this and this posts for my opinion.

Keep in mind that small forum users will flock to FluxBB, just for the comradery with the devs they know. On the other hand, large forum users have a decision to make, cause their forums are cornerstones of their online presence and they can't play forking games.

If your plan is to rely on the FluxBB core and create extensions, then PunBB just became extinct.

Woww, Czech and Slovakia support site for FluxBB is now on http://fluxbb.er.cz

Czech and Slovakia support - http://punbb.er.cz/

Hi! I just popped in today to mention that I had forked punbb to an xsl / xml , only to find out about fluxbb. That is great news! Good luck to both informer, and fluxbb. I also wanted to say I'm really impressed with Rickard's work.

So what is phunkybb all about? Well I'm keeping with the minimalist concept, but I've also removed a bunch of non-core forum functions, like access control and search. I think those are better left to apps like fail2ban and xapian. The great majority of users will want that built-in, so phunkybb is not for everyone.

If you want to take a look at PhunkyBB, here's the site:

http://www.phunkybb.docunext.com/blog/

Docunext -> Sorry, did you just say you had xapian working with pun/fluxbb?

21 (edited by Casemon 2008-12-09 00:39)

Was confused about all the FluxBB posts here and finally read this and understood why.

My 0.02 on this is that forking PunBB at this phase will only work to make neither PunBB or FluxBB very useful.

I know having 2 can be successful and work to improve the other, but I think the likelihood of that actually happening is very low. It's already confusing what belongs to which, etc.

I wish the FluxBB devs would instead work with PunBB devs to make PunBB even better.

Just my 0.02.

Casemon wrote:

My 0.02 on this is that forking PunBB at this phase will only work to make neither PunBB or FluxBB very useful.

Agree.

Casemon wrote:

It's already confusing what belongs to which, etc.

We hope there is less confusion since PunBB 1.3 final release.

Casemon wrote:

I wish the FluxBB devs would instead work with PunBB devs to make PunBB even better.

Forking seemed to be a great fun for some community members. Looking at the results in half a year, I'd say it was not really useful for both communities. Though I understand former PunBB devs: Rickard's left and they didn't know much about new PunBB owners (and why should they care about owners' needs).

PunBB is an open project, so FluxBB devs are free to join (and we've never forced anyone to fork/leave). Nevertheless, I don't think they would like to: this is kind of religious beliefs. Though these beliefs could be overstepped to get better result. I even don't mean that current PunBB devs (including me) are really good enough, but I think we've proved (and ensured ourselves) that we can lead the project, provide the support and keep up development activity.

Hypothetical joining of FluxBB and PunBB community would now mostly be useful in view of less confusion for users and more community activity: language packs, styles and extensions development.

FluxBB development now is like walking the infinite path to the unreachable ideal. Paul has reworked his markup several times and is going on now, though even the first version was good enough (Paul is really cool) to release 1.3. Same with features: too much changes has been started for 1.3 and there is still too few planning/projecting for them. PunBB/FluxBB 1.3 is a halfstep to something 2.0. The ideas of 1.3 should be better projected and require other techniques than PunBB 1.2. So that 1.3 should be released as soon as possible to fix what has been done.

PunBB 2.0 is planned to be an adequate implementation of the same 1.3 ideas, but simpler/easier/faster/less featured.

Thanks for the giving me the reason to express these thoughts :-)

Carpe diem

Anatoly wrote:

Forking seemed to be a great fun for some community members. Looking at the results in half a year, I'd say it was not really useful for both communities.

Forking should of happened when Rickard sold the rights to PunBB, then both communities would of went their own ways. At this point, bringing both communities back together doesn't appear likely to happen.

I keep going back to the punbb.org domain change, even though it may seem trivial and not a big deal. But in the eyes of volunteers, those that have hung around for years, helping Rickard and Paul, it is huge. Everything that Rickard wanted to do, he discussed it with us first, all you have to do is go back in this forum and read old threads.

I fully understand Informer's position, but Informer has to understand that you can't do drastic changes without some kind of community consent. Because a community has to feel like they are part of the proceedings, or else they cease to care. And when they cease to care, they stop volunteering, they stop manning the support forums, they stop contributing plugins, themes and adding to the wiki, and last but not least, they stop recommending your product.

Open Source is a fragile process, we are learning it's nuances daily.

24 (edited by Visman 2015-11-02 14:19)

I fully understand Informer's position, but Informer has to understand that you can't do drastic changes without some kind of community consent. Because a community has to feel like they are part of the proceedings, or else they cease to care. And when they cease to care, they

Thank you very much for this!