Topic: Template contest for the new version?

I think we should have a template contest for the new version of punBB.
The winner gets its template in the final 1.3 package!

This could perhaps bring fourth some nice templates don't you think?

2 (edited by Jérémie 2008-05-28 01:23)

Re: Template contest for the new version?

Some of us are going to make templates yes, but for FluxBB.

If PunBB wants one, I'm sure we could fine an arrangement. They can send us their budget for this work.

Yeah i think most of the designers have moved over to fluxbb, and didnt the last contest only have a few entrys??

Sorry. Unactive due to personal life.

Here, pick a color - http://www.jsand.net/spinkbb/?lang=en

As for all the designers moving over to FluxBB, that's like saying all the Debian themers are now using Ubuntu.

hcgtv wrote:

Here, pick a color - http://www.jsand.net/spinkbb/?lang=en

Thats not for 1.3 hmm

hcgtv wrote:

As for all the designers moving over to FluxBB, that's like saying all the Debian themers are now using Ubuntu.

He didn't say all, and thats hardly a good analogy.

Connorhd wrote:
hcgtv wrote:

He didn't say all, and thats hardly a good analogy.

When Ubuntu came out, the same kind of attitude emerged on the Debian forums. The "We've all moved on, come join us in a better place" theme. Then the first upgrade of an LTS release happened upon the users, oh how they rushed back to the Debian forums complaining about having to reinstall their Linux boxen. Then it was the "We missed the simplicity and rock solid performance of Debian" chant.

Good analogy or not, we'll have to see.

hcgtv wrote:

And that says someone who is involved in a fork himself?

chriloi wrote:
hcgtv wrote:

And that says someone who is involved in a fork himself?

Well he wasn't involved in this fork.

Paul wrote:

Well he wasn't involved in this fork.

I'm talking about xPattern, not FluxBB.

chriloi wrote:

I'm talking about xPattern, not FluxBB.

I don't know how you can compare xPattern to FluxBB. The xPats haven't been on the Textpattern forum telling everyone to make the switch.

We approached the developers and asked them to allow us to get more involved, but were turned away. Where Textpattern has a closed minded approach to development, I doubt that the PunBB owners would turn away coding help.

I wish the FluxBB devs all the best but I'm not making the switch and I'm getting tired of hearing about it here, on the PunBB forums.

Bert: I agree with you. Unfortunately, we can't control what the membership does though I will mention it to them elsewhere. I certainly haven't been intentionally pushing anything here, at least not outside the two semi official threads, and have tried to be careful what I say.

The only reason I'm here now is I appear to be the only active moderator. Somebody has to delete the spam and generally keep the place tidy. I have to say that this in itself is a very strange state of affairs which should be remedied sooner rather than later.

As for the subject matter of the topic. The new version, assuming it is how I think it will be, should provide far more opportunies for styling. However, it still won't use templates in the normal sense. A competition has always been a good idea, its just finding enough people who are prepared to work with css alone. Most of the skinning fraternity seems happier hacking around with markup. I know the new PunBB devs were keen on templating so maybe worth pushing the point.

Paul wrote:

The only reason I'm here now is I appear to be the only active moderator. Somebody has to delete the spam and generally keep the place tidy. I have to say that this in itself is a very strange state of affairs which should be remedied sooner rather than later.

Yeah, I find it quite odd also. Maybe there aren't any English speaking employees of SoftDeluxe other than Anatoly?

Must feel strange for you, having frequented this forum for so many years and now being an outsider of sorts. I remember walking away from my first project, Nucleus CMS. I had to fight the instinctive urge to hit the forums and check for messages. But I found another project to work with and continued on down the road.

Bert, I did not want to offend you in any way. I was just wondering why you have such a negative attitude towards fluxbb.

In fact, even if you do not remember, it was you who brought me from txp to pun with your idea of building a bridge between the 2 systems.

chriloi wrote:

Bert, I did not want to offend you in any way. I was just wondering why you have such a negative attitude towards fluxbb.

No offense taken. I was excited at first but then I started thinking about what transpired over the last year. Let's just say that we blew a year, PunBB 1.3 should of come out a very long time ago.

chriloi wrote:

In fact, even if you do not remember, it was you who brought me from txp to pun with your idea of building a bridge between the 2 systems.

That's still a possibility, though I'm leaving my options open.