Topic: PunBB 1.3 RC

Here is the PunBB 1.3 Release Candidate.

Download links:
(UPDATED: copyrights)

SVN link:

Major changes since 1.3 beta:

• All variable and constant names changed to maximize extensions portablility

• Changed $db to $forum_db in order to make forum integration easier

• Removed the use of unbuffered queries. The performance gains are minimal and they can cause problems that are difficult to track down

• Removed Fulltext search

• Removed turn_off_maintenance_mode.php in favour of a line in include/essentials.php

• Removed LOW_PRIORITY option from queries as it does not give any advantage

• Moved output buffering to individual files

• Added FORUM_DISABLE_CSRF_CONFIRM, a constant which when defined disables the CSRF token validation

• Added new bbcode preparser to check for errors before posts are saved to the db

• Added a "priority" attribute to the hook tag in extensions. Extensions can now specify their priority for each hook, meaning that they can suggest whether their code should go first, last, or somewhere in between

• Improved/added more database helper functions

• Added helper functions to deal with UTF-8 strings

• Added code to silently strip out certain "bad" characters

• Added notifications for new versions of installed extensions (via repositories)

PS: Bunch of extensions will be published very soon.

Carpe diem

Re: PunBB 1.3 RC

Ooh, you forgot a couple!

• Used some creative Javascript to get quickjump form working properly with SEF URLs.

• Finished per-style templates so that all templates can be replaced on a per-style basis.

• Changed the way form emails are sent (and the way the forum_mail function works). Rather than spoofing the sender's email address as the From address (which leads to all kinds of nasty issues), we instead provide a way to set the Reply-To header.

Yay, now i change from Fluxbb to punbb again XD

PunBB, the FluxBB of tomorrow - today!

Anatoly,

Is there a reason all the file dates are 6/17/2008?

Makes doing a comparison against the PunBB SVN a bit harder, not to mention updating an already running board, cause the dates are all different from the previous beta.

Thanks for the release.

5 (edited by MattF 2008-06-17 18:27)

A tar archive should also be available. Zip and 7z are not standard on all systems where this will be run. The *nix world does still exist you know.

gunzip should do fine, no?

A tar.gz is 262 KB (269,209 bytes), pretty good compression.

Gunzip works fine, but the tar's keep more info, like permissions, etc.

elbekko wrote:

gunzip should do fine, no?

Do you mean for extracting zip files, or just for compression for *nix? The standard method, when creating either gzip or bzip compressed files, is to tar them first. smile But yes, either of those would be fine.

MattF wrote:

A tar archive should also be available. Zip and 7z are not standard on all systems where this will be run. The *nix world does still exist you know.

Here it is now: http://punbb.informer.com/download/punbb-1.3-RC.tgz

Carpe diem

Cheers. smile

Smartys wrote:

Ooh, you forgot a couple!

Thanks, Smarys. These are mostly yours achievements.

Carpe diem

hcgtv wrote:

Is there a reason all the file dates are 6/17/2008?

Makes doing a comparison against the PunBB SVN a bit harder, not to mention updating an already running board, cause the dates are all different from the previous beta.

Hmm. I can't get the problem? What file dates are you expecting to see?

Regarding SVN line by line comparison to PunBB 1.3 beta, it must be evil ))
We are migrating to new repository now. Old one will be possibly kept for historical reasons )

Carpe diem

Anatoly wrote:

We are migrating to new repository now. Old one will be possibly kept for historical reasons )

Ok, that's why the dates changed, a new repository checkin would do that.

Hello Anatoly,

What kind of compatibility will there be between this RC and fluxbb?
Will the extensions be compatible?

mmm i cant understand a thing now. whats going on. i thought you guys said that you want to make punbb 1.3 as fluxbb 1.3 and change the future goals. so what version of punbb is this.

I-MAN wrote:

mmm i cant understand a thing now. whats going on. i thought you guys said that you want to make punbb 1.3 as fluxbb 1.3 and change the future goals. so what version of punbb is this.

Simple: PunBB 1.3 RC is (for the most part, to say the least) FluxBB beta 2.5.

great!

DigitalOcean: VPS from $5/mon. Get $10 bonus!.

Yeah: Great! So PunBB basically copied FluxBB's code "for compatibility reasons"?
Congrats! Great work!

FluxBB - v1.4.8

Your team developed it or you steal it from FluxBB?

bigcortex wrote:

Will the extensions be compatible?

We hope so smile

Jérémie wrote:

Simple: PunBB 1.3 RC is (for the most part, to say the least) FluxBB beta 2.5.

lie2815 wrote:

Yeah: Great! So PunBB basically copied FluxBB's code "for compatibility reasons"?
Congrats! Great work!

That's right.
There will be more differences from now on.

Ledo wrote:

Your team developed it or you steal it from FluxBB?

FluxBB team developed their forum or stole it from PunBB?
Both of these questions are incorrect because of GPL.
Why should we do the same if we see that other devs do it right?
GPL allows all of us to use the results of both teams.
Be correct please.

Thanks.

Carpe diem

Nice to know who is developing and who is on the free ride... Will u use new markup from FluxBB to?

Ledo wrote:

Will u use new markup from FluxBB to?

anatonly wrote:

There is a chance, we will release RC2, applying Paul's new markup to have Pun/Flux CSS/templates compatible.

Sorry. Unactive due to personal life.

23 (edited by Ledo 2008-06-18 09:22)

A least you are honest and admit your team doesn't develope enything but it will copy FluxBB and be dependant on developement of FluxBB.

I hope you will give credits to them in the bottom? Somethink like Powerd by PunBB - Developed by FluxBB...

ledo, be a little kind, he already said that its GPL. go search google what does it means. the devs forked. so both sites are free. well for me. the one which develops more and bitter i will go to that side. currently fluxbb.org is far above punbb. but i still dont know how capable are antology and his new team.

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html
PunBB breaks 5.a because all FluxBB copyrights are removed.