Topic: Disable showing extensions in footer

For those who don't like having their installed Pun extensions in their footer http://connorhd.co.uk/remove_pun_footer.zip

Re: Disable showing extensions in footer

I noticed this in every extension:

echo '<p id="extensions-used">Currently used extensions: '.implode(', ', $pun_extensions_used).'. Copyright &copy; 2008 <a href="http://punbb.informer.com/">PunBB</a></p>';

May I ask what was the reasoning for this?

That's what this extension removes.

Yes, I know that your extension removes the line. I was just wondering what the reasoning behind the extensions used line was for.

I think rather than have it in the footer, it would be better suited to a page where access to it can be controlled, rather than removed altogether. Like so: http://punbb.informer.com/extensions/ - which I know is a special page made by the PunBB team, but I hope you get the idea.

5 (edited by MattF 2008-06-20 18:18)

What surprises me is why any extensions are installed on the support forum itself. Surely, common sense would say to run a demo forum to showcase the extensions. What happens if they create 100 extensions, for example. Will they install them all on here?

Matt,

There may be extensions that would be a good fit here, like a PM extension let's say. But a karma extension feels out of place for sure. So a demo forum would be a better place to showcase all the stuff.

On most forums, the PM mod might have it's place. On here though, I would personally say not. The problem with PM, (and I know it was only meant to be an example), smile is that you could get people discussing problems privately via PM, and hence any solutions not appearing in the forum for future reference.

Personally, I can't think of any mods which would truly have a benefit on here offhand.

Yes, seeing the extensions listed down there looks amateurish.  Who wants to see that? Why would any user care?

Oh, and look at the query count too - I am now seeing **27** queries just to view this.

What happened to PunBB = fast and light?

sirena wrote:

Oh, and look at the query count too - I am now seeing **27** queries just to view this.

Hadn't noticed that until you mentioned it. I know we'll have the response of 'it's the quality of the queries which counts too' when I say this, but that is nasty. big_smile Btw, I'm seeing 28 queries listed in viewtopic.

11 (edited by Utchin 2008-06-21 14:04)

33 queries executed  V Fluxbb = 9 queries executed

I gets 2/3 queries per post.... and the ones with 6 pages is getting 50 queries...

Sorry. Unactive due to personal life.

12 (edited by MattF 2008-06-21 14:04)

Would appear the query count goes up by one or so for each post in the topic. I'd be intrigued to see the total on a long thread.

Well one of the 6 page posts ( 20 posts per page) gets 50 queries...

14 (edited by MattF 2008-06-21 14:14)

matt1298 wrote:

If anyone takes their posts per page view above 20, (or even as is), I can see a lot of the lower end hosts are going to be throwing a wobbler over the amount of database queries generated and trying to play silly buggers with their customers.

p.s: I'm finally in sync with your posts now Matt. big_smile

matt1298 wrote:

60 on this page: http://punbb.informer.com/forums/viewto … 84&p=2

p.s: Connor, apologies for the thread deviation. big_smile

16 (edited by Utchin 2008-06-21 14:26)

Imagine this:

A forum, with an average topic per page is 15, so 40 queries per person per page.. with 130 users (assuming they are all reading a topic wink ) that 5200 queries.. plus an average page view of... 200 that's 1040000 queries possibly a day.

Also, does the "Currently used extensions" show all the ones installed on the forum or the ones that are used on the current page..

17 (edited by MattF 2008-06-21 14:42)

matt1298 wrote:

Imagine this:

A forum, with an average topic per page is 15, so 40 queries per person per page.. with 130 users (assuming they are all reading a topic wink ) that 5200 queries.. plus an average page view of... 200 that's 1040000 queries possibly a day.

That definitely ain't going to go down well with a lot of places. I know the query amount versus query quality can balance each other out on occasion, but I'm sure there's no valid excuse for running a separate query for each post in a topic.
Just been diddling around, big_smile and that link above, with a posts per page setting of 50 is listing approx: 109 queries.

matt1298 wrote:

Also, does the "Currently used extensions" show all the ones installed on the forum or the ones that are used on the current page..

By the looks of it, I'm assuming it's showing the overall installed extensions.

sirena wrote:

It just seems to be some sloppy coding in pun_hook_navigator. It manually queries o_hn_list_visible from the config table every time it wants to check if it should display a hook or not, rather than using $forum_config['o_hn_list_visible']. Easily fixable.

sirena wrote:

When you start adding extensions into the mix, fast and light gives way to extensible.

Whenever you have software that can be extended, you're going to have users that install many extensions. Just look at Firefox, I bet you there are many users with extensions installed in their browser that may slow them down but they prefer to have the functionality, adblock comes to mind.

We're entering another realm here, it's going to get interesting cause PunBB was easy to support with a tight core, now each install will take on a life of it's own. Come to think of it, i just answered my own question, why does each extension register itself in the footer.

hcgtv wrote:
sirena wrote:

When you start adding extensions into the mix, fast and light gives way to extensible.

Not necessarily if the extensions are well written, the karma extension is not.

hcgtv wrote:

Not necessarily. There are many heavily modded 1.2.* forums out there, mine included, and I personally would be aghast if I ever coded sloppily enough to exceed 20 queries in total, including the core queries, on any page.

This is just a sloppy coding issue. This also brings another point to bear, however. If the extensions are examples of the coding practices we are due to see here, then this does not bode well. I thought the days of the 1.2.* series were done, where you had to double check every addition you installed for sloppiness of coding and general security issues.
Personally, this would not put me in a peaceful frame of mind regarding how things are progressing if the extension responsible for this, (I believe Connor said it was the karma mod), is anything to go by.

Connorhd wrote:

For those who don't like having their installed Pun extensions in their footer http://connorhd.co.uk/remove_pun_footer.zip

I guess the million $$ question now is where/how to install thi file?

Thanks

bringslite wrote:
Connorhd wrote:

Just today, 50% discount: half a million $$ only!
This is an extension itself, so put it to extensions folder and install it if you need this.

Carpe diem

Anatoly wrote:
bringslite wrote:
Connorhd wrote:

Just today, 50% discount: half a million $$ only!
This is an extension itself, so put it to extensions folder and install it if you need this.

Duh!

Thx Anatoly!