Topic: PunBB= Your own BB?

I have a question, would I be allowed to use PunBB as a base source to make my own Forum Software? IT would always be open source and free of course, and credits would be given in the areas.

I just have a perfect view of a forum in my mind, that I wish to make.

Re: PunBB= Your own BB?

Yes, the GPL grants you the right:

3. Derived Works

The license must allow modifications and derived works, and must allow them to be distributed under the same terms as the license of the original software.

Well for some info, ThunduraBB is going to be made to be a totally free counter towards vBulletin, and better. (I have a print out of their features, plan to make it have most if not all features vBulletin has)

Hopefully, this will show you do not need to pay money for things like the big guys have.

With the new extension system in 1.3, you'll be able to create a feature rich forum to rival vBulletin.

Best of luck.

Extension System?
By that, do you mean like SMF, where you can plug things in?

(Currently I am modding up 1.2.8 I think it is)

Yes, with 1.3 you won't need to make mods.

Check out Franz's PunHooks site, especially the hooks page.

Give it some thought, you're better off making extensions than changing core code.

Putting extension's in just seems like I am not doing any work than....I'll mod up a source for now, and once the PunBB 1.3 is out, Ill switch to that.

hcgtv wrote:

Cool. You seem to be the only one who likes it wink

FluxBB - v1.4.8

I would like it, but I would feel guilty, like all I did was install some extension's and call it my own.
The only mod's I need are Friends Mod, and maybe some sort of "Club" mod where users can create a club and others can join it.

Question:
Can I pre-install the mods onto it my computer before installing it on the net?

Epiphone wrote:

Can I pre-install the mods onto it my computer before installing it on the net?

If you're on Windows, check out XAMPP: http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-windows.html

XAMPP Lite is an unzip and run solution.

I like meant, is it possible, to unzip, and start applying mods to it, than install it on a board.

Epiphone wrote:

I like meant, is it possible, to unzip, and start applying mods to it, than install it on a board.

Completely. You obviously won't have any way of checking that your code is functioning correctly unless you have it installed on a test site, however. smile

lie2815 wrote:
hcgtv wrote:

Just to let you know, I think some of the ideas on your site is great, I don't really like the idea of another separate site, I think this page is great though http://lie2815.heliohost.org/sys/projec … =bbcodebar

I have one more question, is the name PunBB, in every file? (So I know where to edit to make it Thundura)

15 (edited by Utchin 2008-06-21 22:18)

Punbb is referenced in Evey file... and you have to keep it their smile its the licence.

and maybe some sort of "Club" mod where users can create a club and others can join it.

Few things about that:

Me and others are making a site called FindClan. You create clans (guilds, community's, clubs...) and others can join it. This is a site though, not a project.

On the other hand, we might make a little clan extension for punbb/fluxbb which will allow you to manage your clan on your own site, though this wont allow people to create "clubs"

Sorry. Unactive due to personal life.

K. Back to this one:

Connorhd wrote:
lie2815 wrote:
hcgtv wrote:

Just to let you know, I think some of the ideas on your site is great, I don't really like the idea of another separate site, I think this page is great though http://lie2815.heliohost.org/sys/projec … =bbcodebar

Also, is there a guide about editing the CSS on this, I want to see how I could move the Mini-profile to above the post content, like vB.

17 (edited by MattF 2008-06-21 23:55)

matt1298 wrote:

Punbb is referenced in Evey file... and you have to keep it their smile its the licence.

I believe something along the lines of the following is about right, with regards to adapting the copyright notice.

For the 1.2* branch:

Based on code copyright (C) 2002-2008 PunBB.org

This file is part of Thundura.

[The rest of the copyright info here]

For the 1.3* branch:

Based on code copyright (C) 2008  FluxBB.org
Based on code copyright (C) 2008  PunBB.org

This file is part of Thundura.

[The rest of the copyright info here]

If you use PunBB 1.3 RC then you also need to reference FluxBB in there.

19 (edited by MattF 2008-06-21 23:48)

Connorhd wrote:

If you use PunBB 1.3 RC then you also need to reference FluxBB in there.

Apologies. I'd forgotten to add that bit. I've edited/updated that bit I wrote above. Would that be correct, or is there a better method/layout? Seems a bit weird with two copyright lines.

I have no idea what the best way to say it is, I think that is fine, but I'm not sure.

Okay than. Thanks.

Connorhd wrote:
lie2815 wrote:
hcgtv wrote:

I could sell the idea to you wink
You can add it to the fluxbb homepage, if you want...

FluxBB - v1.4.8

23 (edited by Epiphone 2008-06-22 23:42)

All I need is to figure out how to change the skin template. Tis the hard part. Maybe I should get a dev team...
Infact, would anyone like to join the staff?

Epiphone, why are you making a whole new forum, why not just develop extensions to add features, I think you'll find more people would be willing to help you with that too.

I want to make a new forum, that could be a free, but powerful rival to vBulletin. I have planned this for a while now. And now I am deploying and using this as a base.

Why did PunBB make their software? They could have just developed plug-ins for more... -EX I love punBB