Topic: Extension questions

I'm very new to using punbb software so bear with my questions.

Extensions are different than the current system of modifying the software's files to get new features right? They are plugins of sorts that don't need to be written in but just clicked-in if that makes any sense?

Will I be able to disable the extensions that I don't need or want on my board? - This is assuming the "official" extensions are bundled with the new software version.

Thanks a lot!

Re: Extension questions

Of course, you will

SysopGrace wrote:

This is assuming the "official" extensions are bundled with the new software version.

This wont happen. You choose which official extensions you would like to download.

StevenBullen wrote:
SysopGrace wrote:

This is assuming the "official" extensions are bundled with the new software version.

This wont happen. You choose which official extensions you would like to download.

Why not? We could provide two PunBB distributions: pure one and with extensions bundled (but not enabled).

Carpe diem

Anatoly wrote:
StevenBullen wrote:
SysopGrace wrote:

Why not? We could provide two PunBB distributions: pure one and with extensions bundled (but not enabled).

Obviously if you want to move even FURTHER away from PunBBs philosophy. You need an extension (official or not) then you download it and install it.

Stop with the pointless things please.

StevenBullen wrote:

Obviously if you want to move even FURTHER away from PunBBs philosophy. You need an extension (official or not) then you download it and install it.

Agree.
We are just considering different ways: what would be needed by users.
And please point me at once: where do we loose PunBB philosophy. PunBB core is kept fast and lightweight.

StevenBullen wrote:

Stop with the pointless things please.

With your help smile

Carpe diem

Anatoly wrote:
StevenBullen wrote:

Agree.
We are just considering different ways: what would be needed by users.
And please point me at once: where do we loose PunBB philosophy. PunBB core is kept fast and lightweight.

Ideally the only package PunBB should release is a fast and lightweight one, this way even the beginner gets the fast and lightweight version.

Anyway if you want an idea... then maybe you could use something along the lines of this http://www.mootools.net/core. You could have a page where people could create the package. Much better because people will only install what they require. wink

Anatoly wrote:

It is going against the grain somewhat. Plus, to a degree, it is defeating the point of making the extensions so easy to install if you provide them pre-installed, so to speak. The initial download should preferably be supplied with no extras.

A better idea, in my opinion, would be to make a download package containing all of the official extensions available, to cater for that method of thinking.

I think having official extensions in the download package, but not installed would be nice (as long as there is also an option to download just the core). That way installing them really is just a few clicks.